Meet NA’s top ‘Dawg
When New Albany takes the field in exhibition this weekend, 21 seniors will lead the Bulldogs into the new season with one name standing out.
Kareem Brown has made a name for himself over the last two seasons, helping pace the ‘Dawgs offense while contributing in other areas. Coming off of the 2009 season where he rushed for 930 yards and added 634 more yards receiving, Brown is ready to take it to the next level in his senior season.
“This year, we’re very excited. We’ve been preparing for it, day in and day out,” he said. “We’re hoping things will go good, and as of right now, everything is falling into plan. The coaches gave us a good game plan, and we’re hoping it will follow up.”
Brown is among the elite running backs in the area, but also played a contributing factor on defense last season with 44 tackles and six interceptions. Planning to play both ways again this season, Brown focused on becoming stronger in his offseason workouts.
“For me, summer workouts consisted of getting bigger, stronger and faster,” he said. “That’s the workout our coaches put us on. I haven’t gotten any bigger, but I’m hoping that will come through.”
New Albany faced some of the best in 4A throughout the summer in 7-on-7 action, and will take their talent to Vaught-Hemmingway Stadium at Ole Miss this weekend, where they will face Tupelo.
“Coach has been trying to get us pumped up because this is the first time we’re playing Tupelo, let alone a 6A school, so we’ve been preparing good,” Brown said. “We’re going to bring it.”
This weekend is a great opportunity for the Bulldogs’ seniors to showcase their talent to recruiters, especially Brown, who hopes to play more games at Oxford in the future.
“Ole Miss is where I’m planning to go to college. I don’t know if I’ll get there or not, but hopefully I will. We’re really excited, and it’s getting us pumped up a lot,” he said.
Focusing on the present, Brown hopes to lead the Bulldogs to another playoff berth in 2010.
“We’ve been working as a team, and there’s a lot of chemistry. We know what the others can do, and we’re coming together pretty good.”
Brown and the Bulldogs will take on the Golden Wave in the Ole Miss Jamboree at 2 p.m. on Saturday.
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...