Meet NA’s top ‘Dawg
When New Albany takes the field in exhibition this weekend, 21 seniors will lead the Bulldogs into the new season with one name standing out.
Kareem Brown has made a name for himself over the last two seasons, helping pace the ‘Dawgs offense while contributing in other areas. Coming off of the 2009 season where he rushed for 930 yards and added 634 more yards receiving, Brown is ready to take it to the next level in his senior season.
“This year, we’re very excited. We’ve been preparing for it, day in and day out,” he said. “We’re hoping things will go good, and as of right now, everything is falling into plan. The coaches gave us a good game plan, and we’re hoping it will follow up.”
Brown is among the elite running backs in the area, but also played a contributing factor on defense last season with 44 tackles and six interceptions. Planning to play both ways again this season, Brown focused on becoming stronger in his offseason workouts.
“For me, summer workouts consisted of getting bigger, stronger and faster,” he said. “That’s the workout our coaches put us on. I haven’t gotten any bigger, but I’m hoping that will come through.”
New Albany faced some of the best in 4A throughout the summer in 7-on-7 action, and will take their talent to Vaught-Hemmingway Stadium at Ole Miss this weekend, where they will face Tupelo.
“Coach has been trying to get us pumped up because this is the first time we’re playing Tupelo, let alone a 6A school, so we’ve been preparing good,” Brown said. “We’re going to bring it.”
This weekend is a great opportunity for the Bulldogs’ seniors to showcase their talent to recruiters, especially Brown, who hopes to play more games at Oxford in the future.
“Ole Miss is where I’m planning to go to college. I don’t know if I’ll get there or not, but hopefully I will. We’re really excited, and it’s getting us pumped up a lot,” he said.
Focusing on the present, Brown hopes to lead the Bulldogs to another playoff berth in 2010.
“We’ve been working as a team, and there’s a lot of chemistry. We know what the others can do, and we’re coming together pretty good.”
Brown and the Bulldogs will take on the Golden Wave in the Ole Miss Jamboree at 2 p.m. on Saturday.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...