Historic Northside District Garden Club, May 2010
The Historic Northside District Garden Club met at the First United Methodist Church on May 27, 2010.
Sixteen members and three guests enjoyed salads brought by the members, sandwiches brought by Beverly James, and home made ice cream brought by Jean Ashcraft. Members present were Jean Ashcraft, Anita Buster, Ninabeth Capaning, Bethany Dalton, Jan McMillin, Jan Eastman, Jane Gadd, Betty Inis, Beverly James, Cadis Johnson, Joanne Lesley, Rebecca Owen, Sandy Shaddinger, Jill Smith, Veronica Wiseman, and Jane Weigartner. Our guests were President Veronica Wiseman’s mother, daughter, and son.
President Veronica Wiseman called the meeting to order. Jean Ashcraft, representing HNNA, presented a scholarship to Patricia Wiseman for her community service.
A video presentation of the Historic Northside Tour of Homes and Gardens was enjoyed by members. The proceeds from the tour will be used to purchase a sign identifying the Historic District. The sign will hopfully be placed in the triangle by the shirt factory. The Historic Preservation committee will be responsible for finding the sign.
The Garden Therapy Committee will be responsible for placing an arrangement at Union County Rehabilitation Center and the Union County Historical Museum for National Garden Club Week. The arrangement will be from flower cuttings from our own gardens. The Horticulture/Landscape Maintenance/Garden Therapy Committee will be in charge of this.
Jill Smith made a motion that the club place luminaries at Relay for Life for club members lost to cancer. Those members we honor are Erline Barrett, Glenda Malone, Peggy Smallwood and Tracy Olson. The motion was seconded and passed. Anita Buster suggested the club make a donation to the Union County Museum in memory of June Wroten. It was agreed to do so. The District Garden Club meeting in Holly Springs was discussed. Members attending will be Anita Buster, Veronica Wiseman, Lynn Madden, Ninabeth Capaning and Bethany Dalton.
Jan Eastman suggested that our club work together with other garden clubs in New Albany to allow each club to have a special project each year. Jean Ashcraft, Conservation chairman, suggested members join the Society of Trees. Sign up sheets were passed for Luncheon with Books in August, hostesses for the coming year, and updates for email and directory. After all business the meeting was adjourned.
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- Register now for NEMCC spring classes December 6, 2016
- Thanks for keeping ‘Sharing at Christmas’ something to look forward to December 6, 2016
- We still need help to Share at Christmas December 6, 2016
- Officials welcome funding for expanded emergency communications December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday December 6, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday