NEMCC football scrimmage a success
Booneville, MS- Northeast Mississippi Community College’s football team was on the gridiron on Saturday, August 14, at Tiger Stadium for its first full scrimmage of 2010.
Head Coach Ricky Smither counted Saturday’s scrimmage a success with units on both sides of the ball being very productive.
“These guys came out here on a mission and really got after each other,” explained Smither. “We went for about an hour and a half beginning at 7 a.m., to try and beat the heat, and I was really impressed with our guys’ effort and execution.”
Sophomore QB Clint Wilson (Olive Branch) orchestrated the first unit, but sophomore RB Jaquise Cook (Ripley) stole the show for the number one offense, rushing for three touchdowns on the day. Redshirt freshman RB Michael Poole (Ripley) added another rushing score along with newcomers Markie Dukes (Lafayette) and Eric Johnson (New Albany), both tallying one touchdown a piece.
On the defensive side, freshman linebacker Bo Brown (Booneville) impressed the coaches with his athleticism along with Michigan State transfer Brynden Trawick (Marietta, Ga.). Trawick comes in as a talented duel threat sophomore who plays safety and wide receiver, and could be the go to guy for Northeast this fall.
“This Trawick kid is amazing,” said Smither. “We are really excited about his ability. He is definitely a play maker and a game changer. He really has a positive attitude about being here.”
Another positive for the Tigers during Saturday’s scrimmage was the special teams play, specifically in the kicking game. Freshman kicker Taylor Earhart (Olive Branch) connected on two field goals of 35 and 28 yards while nailing every extra point attempt.
“Taylor will make our decision making this year a whole lot easier,” Smither said. I am confident he can and will come through for us during a game by what I have seen out him so far.”
Northeast opens the 2010 campaign at East Central Community College in Decatur on September 2. Kick-off is set for 6:30 p.m.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...