NEMCC football scrimmage a success
Booneville, MS- Northeast Mississippi Community College’s football team was on the gridiron on Saturday, August 14, at Tiger Stadium for its first full scrimmage of 2010.
Head Coach Ricky Smither counted Saturday’s scrimmage a success with units on both sides of the ball being very productive.
“These guys came out here on a mission and really got after each other,” explained Smither. “We went for about an hour and a half beginning at 7 a.m., to try and beat the heat, and I was really impressed with our guys’ effort and execution.”
Sophomore QB Clint Wilson (Olive Branch) orchestrated the first unit, but sophomore RB Jaquise Cook (Ripley) stole the show for the number one offense, rushing for three touchdowns on the day. Redshirt freshman RB Michael Poole (Ripley) added another rushing score along with newcomers Markie Dukes (Lafayette) and Eric Johnson (New Albany), both tallying one touchdown a piece.
On the defensive side, freshman linebacker Bo Brown (Booneville) impressed the coaches with his athleticism along with Michigan State transfer Brynden Trawick (Marietta, Ga.). Trawick comes in as a talented duel threat sophomore who plays safety and wide receiver, and could be the go to guy for Northeast this fall.
“This Trawick kid is amazing,” said Smither. “We are really excited about his ability. He is definitely a play maker and a game changer. He really has a positive attitude about being here.”
Another positive for the Tigers during Saturday’s scrimmage was the special teams play, specifically in the kicking game. Freshman kicker Taylor Earhart (Olive Branch) connected on two field goals of 35 and 28 yards while nailing every extra point attempt.
“Taylor will make our decision making this year a whole lot easier,” Smither said. I am confident he can and will come through for us during a game by what I have seen out him so far.”
Northeast opens the 2010 campaign at East Central Community College in Decatur on September 2. Kick-off is set for 6:30 p.m.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...