Amateur radio organization looking for new members
Amateur Radio operators are still going strong in Union County. The Northeast Mississippi Amateur Radio Club is located in Union County and is responsible for the operation and maintenance of its repeater at the Union County Fairgrounds.
The club meets the fourth Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at various locations.
Members are licensed Amateur Radio operators from Union, Tippah, and Pontotoc counties. Anyone interested in Amateur (HAM) Radio are welcome at any of our meetings.
The club members have the capabilities of operating on all licensed FCC frequencies. HF, UHF, and VHF. Many have had “Skywarn” training and are also members of Amateur Radio Emergency Service.
In July the club participated in an ARRL “Field Day” where radio operators set up a temporary antennae and communications operations at the Park-Along-The-River pavilion. They operated on HF, UHF, and VHF frequencies and made many connections all over the United States.
The club can handle welfare, priority and emergency traffic, local and nationwide, through the NTS (National Traffic System) net and was done during Hurricane Katrina.
The club will provide help for those interested in “Ham” Radio and in becoming licensed. We have license manuals and can mentor those interested. There are also members that are authorized by the Federal Communications Commission to do the testing for a license.
Because of the increased interest, there are Morse Code practicing sessions in development. The Boy Scouts have re-established a Special Communications merit badge that requires learning Morse code, as they did 30 years ago. This was also taught at the recent Boy Scout jamboree.
The club is a non-profit organization, is registered with the Secretary of State, is licensed by the FCC and is affiliated with the National Amateur Radio Relay League.
The frequency is 146.67 Mhz and the Station Call Sign is KC5YFE.
For more information, contact Charles Buster (WB5AHZ) at 534-5124, John Garling (W5UBG) at 534-7080, Bill Cooper (WB5YCR) at 534-2586m or Bill Towner (WB5TTM) at 316-8899.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series