Amateur radio organization looking for new members
Amateur Radio operators are still going strong in Union County. The Northeast Mississippi Amateur Radio Club is located in Union County and is responsible for the operation and maintenance of its repeater at the Union County Fairgrounds.
The club meets the fourth Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at various locations.
Members are licensed Amateur Radio operators from Union, Tippah, and Pontotoc counties. Anyone interested in Amateur (HAM) Radio are welcome at any of our meetings.
The club members have the capabilities of operating on all licensed FCC frequencies. HF, UHF, and VHF. Many have had “Skywarn” training and are also members of Amateur Radio Emergency Service.
In July the club participated in an ARRL “Field Day” where radio operators set up a temporary antennae and communications operations at the Park-Along-The-River pavilion. They operated on HF, UHF, and VHF frequencies and made many connections all over the United States.
The club can handle welfare, priority and emergency traffic, local and nationwide, through the NTS (National Traffic System) net and was done during Hurricane Katrina.
The club will provide help for those interested in “Ham” Radio and in becoming licensed. We have license manuals and can mentor those interested. There are also members that are authorized by the Federal Communications Commission to do the testing for a license.
Because of the increased interest, there are Morse Code practicing sessions in development. The Boy Scouts have re-established a Special Communications merit badge that requires learning Morse code, as they did 30 years ago. This was also taught at the recent Boy Scout jamboree.
The club is a non-profit organization, is registered with the Secretary of State, is licensed by the FCC and is affiliated with the National Amateur Radio Relay League.
The frequency is 146.67 Mhz and the Station Call Sign is KC5YFE.
For more information, contact Charles Buster (WB5AHZ) at 534-5124, John Garling (W5UBG) at 534-7080, Bill Cooper (WB5YCR) at 534-2586m or Bill Towner (WB5TTM) at 316-8899.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...