‘50s diner ‘Shop Talk’ offering New Albany a blast from the past
The ‘50s style diner that plays old time rock and roll, doo wop music with a colorful jukebox is open for business again, ready to serve customers breakfast and down home country cooking for lunch.
Shop Talk Diner has reopened again under new owners after being closed since December 2008.
New owners Ann Garrett, Dale Coleman, and Bridgette Phillips worked together for years at Adderholt’s Cafe and Catering before opening up this restaurant again.
Garrett and Coleman, sisters, said that they have been talking about opening up a restaurant on their own for ten to fifteen years and Shop Talk Diner fell into their laps.
Garrett said, “It is a good location and we felt like we were qualified to run the restaurant, so we opened it together. We serve good food, we have nice and friendly service, we love our customers and we serve down home country cooking.”
Coleman said, “We cook food like your grandmamma would cook.”
The decorations and atmosphere is pretty much the same as it was since the last time the restaurant was open. There is still a jukebox in the restaurant that plays ‘50s style music, pictures of Elvis, Jimmy Dean, and Marilyn Monroe adorn the walls, the colors of magenta and chrome still decorate the restaurant, and the location is the same too. However, Garrett and Coleman did bring their mother’s wooden table to the restaurant.
Shop Talk Diner opens at 5 a.m. and serves breakfast items like sausage biscuits, omelets, biscuits and gravy, country ham, breakfast plates, and a unique breakfast item called biscuits with chocolate gravy.
Lunch is served from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and customers can either order off the menu or get food from the lunch buffet. Off the menu, customers can order items like cheeseburgers, BBQ sandwiches, philly cheesesteak sandwiches, grilled chicken sandwiches and more.
Wednesday was the opening day of the restaurant and they had approximately 300 customers that day. The trio opened up the restaurant within a week and a half and they all run it together by cooking, serving, and greeting customers.
The owners are open to renting out the restaurant for people for parties and other events.
“We hope everybody will give us a chance and we appreciate all of the people that came in on our opening day,” said Garrett.
Shop Talk Diner is located at 415 Hwy 15 South and the hours are Monday through Saturday 5 a.m. to 2 p.m. They are closed on Sundays.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...