Eastern Lights, September 3, 2010
Thanks to all of you for your encouragement you have given me in the past few weeks about the Eastern Lights news column.
I spent last Monday morning in Booneville getting some repair on my car. That was the day my life- long friend Opal Smith was buried. So I missed her funeral.
Tuesday brought the news that another friend for 50 plus years, Voncile White, had died. Her funeral was Thursday at Pleasant Ridge Baptist Church.
Wednesday brought word that Nancy Gullick had died at her home after a lengthy bout with cancer. I met her several years ago when one of her sons, Billy, married Lee McDonald, from our church family. A few years later another son, Jason, married Tracy Hill also from our church family at Palestine Baptist.
These ladies will be missed by all who knew htem. May God bless all of these families.
I attended the Ladies meeting at Cornerstone Baptist Church in Benton County Saturday, Aug. 6. It was a very inspirational time. The men of the church fixed a wonderful meal for about one hundred fifty.
Mrs. Donie Rakestraw died Friday at her home in the Locust Grove Community. She was a member of Pleasant Hill Baptist Church where she was faithful until her health failed. She was one hundred one years old. She had two sons who preceded her in death leaving several grandchildren and great grandchildren. She was buried at Pleasant Hill Cemetery Sunday afternoon.
Annie Lois Pannell talked to her sister Mary Ruth Weeden today, Sunday, Aug. 29 and said she was bruised pretty bad on her legs and part of her body. Her improvement is kinda slow.
Max Cooper Bullock was born Thursday, Aug. 26 at Baptist Women’s Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee. He weighed one pound, seven ounces. Max is the son of Jalon and Christy Bullock of New Albany.
His grandparents are Lannie and Brenda Bullock of Mt. Zion and Philip and Shelba Cooper Whitesides of New Albany. He will remain in the hospital until he is able to come home. He is doing well although he is very small.
Best wishes to Larva Hogue at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County who is very ill. Please pray for Betty and the children.
Charles Messer called Tuesday to say his mother Ola was about the same. Not much improvement.
Happy birthday to Madison Graham on Sept. 9, to Megan Ellis on Sept. 9, to Burney Johnson on Sept. 11 and to Phyliss Hill on Sept. 12.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...