Heritage Pioneer Days set for Sept. 17, 18
Visitors to New Albany can go back in time to the good ol’ days of washing clothes on a washboard, shucking their own corn, shelling their own peas, and more a the ninth annual Heritage Pioneer Days.
Heritage Pioneer Days will take place at the Union County Heritage Museum in New Albany on September 17 and 18.
This is a living history event in which volunteers dress in period costume and teach children a new perspective on farm life and the activities and chores that used to be performed in order to have the amenities children are used to having just by going to the grocery store in these days. There is a full slate of activities, contests and demonstrations are planned.
Events for students will be held on Friday, and on Saturday families are invited to attend. The event is free and shows the rural culture of the area of days gone by.
New stations this year include rope making and log cabin building, and visitors might get to help on completing the dugout canoe.
Old favorites will include baling hay with a mule, shelling and shucking corn, watermelon seed spitting contest, pea shelling contest, sack races and lots of other fun activities.
Many of the activities will take place in the outdoor exhibit area, however, some things may be seen inside the museum as well.
Shucking and shelling corn on the hand turned sheller is always a favorite of visitors as well as many other events. Visitors can also take a look back in time by visiting the old general store, pharmacy, old train caboose and much more outside and inside the museum.
Call the museum for more information at 662-538-0014 or go to the website www.ucheritagemuseum.com.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes September 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights September 29, 2016
- The Playhouse September 29, 2016
- New web site allows better public access to campaign finance reports September 29, 2016
- East Union Attendance Center 2016 Homecoming Court September 29, 2016
- City sales revenue continues upswing September 29, 2016
- First solar energy farm here gets PSC approval September 29, 2016
- Ignoring burn ban can cost you money September 29, 2016
- BNA Bank converting former bus station into new mortgage center September 29, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...