Boys and Girls Club event raises $92,000
Comcast’s Dance Like the Stars raised more than $92,000 for Boys & Girls Clubs of North Mississippi. The fifth annual event was held August 28that the BancorpSouth Arena in Tupelo.
Nine local celebrities competed for the titles of Grand Champion and Judges’ Choice. Each celebrity was paired with a dance professional to learn and perform a ballroom dance routine.
Grace Clark, from Tupelo, took home the title of Grand Champion by raising over $17,000. Dr. Jayant Dey, of Tupelo came in second with over $14,000 and New Albany’s Stephen Garrett raised nearly $12,000 to come in third. Celebrity judges awarded the first place award to Susan Presley of Tupelo. Second place in the judges’ choice category went to Stephen Garrett and Dr. Jayant Dey came in third.
The 2010 Celebrity Dancers were: Chip Ashford, Grace Clark, Dr. Jayant Dey, Matt Gillis, Susan Presley and Jason Warren all of Tupelo; Stephen Garrett of New Albany, Jason Harrison of Ripley, and Gary Hancock of Houston.
The money that Garrett raised for New Albany is going into the general operations fund for the Boys and Girls Club Clubhouse in New Albany.
Garrett is the son of Mark and Cathy Garrett of New Albany.
For more information, please call 662-841-6504, or visit www.bgcnms.org.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...