Getting set for visitors
It’s an exciting time in the world of New Albany and Union County tourism with the announcement last week that the Tanglefoot Trail is on its way to becoming a reality.
The state announced that the last funding piece, $4.5 million in federal money administered through the state Department of Transportation, is being provided for the trail project.
By next January, we expect bids will be being taken on construction of the 44.5-mile walking and bike trail that will link New Albany, Ecru, Pontotoc, Algoma, Houlka and Houston. The project, which will cost nearly $10 million, mostly in federal money, is expected to be complete sometime in 2012.
The trail, which will follow the former GM&O rail line, will be made of asphalt 10 feet wide. An equestrian trail will parallel the trail at appropriate places.
Why all of this excitement about a bike and hiking trail? Because a similar trail in Hattiesburg attracts 100,000 people a year. And 25 percent of those visitors are not from the local area.
Trailheads for the trail, with 1,200-square-foot buildings with restrooms, maps, bike rentals and a gift shop, will be located in New Albany, Pontotoc and Houston. They will be staffed with volunteers.
Now that the project is going forward, it’s time to improve what visitors will see when they start down the trail from the Trailhead, expected to be located near the Union County Library. Some of the route in New Albany is in serious need of being cleaned up and redeveloped.
The Tanglefoot Trail has the potential to provide a major boost to the city’s economy. But only if the visitor experience is a pleasant one.
There’s work to be done and time is short.
About Chris Elkins
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 27, 2016
- Macedonia news July 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news July 27, 2016
- Required vaccinations safe and reliable July 27, 2016
- Local swimmers compete in long course state meet July 27, 2016
- Tax-free weekend coming up July 27, 2016
- Health officer reminds parents about required school vaccinations. July 27, 2016
- Supervisors ask for bridge redesign to lower construction costs July 27, 2016
- Get a year’s worth of news for only $29 July 27, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...