Hurricane News, September 15, 2010
Homecoming at Hurricane Baptist Church will be held on Oct. 3 with special services for the day as the night service will be changed to the afternoon. There will be a fellowship meal at noon.
The Wise Family Farms are getting prepared for their festivities beginning the first weekend in October located on Shady Grove Road.
Enjoying a trip to Memphis on Labor Day weekend were Polly Montgomery, Freida Browning, and Clarenda Parrish as they visited Floyce Long.
Labor Day weekend is always a busy weekend for the community as hunters locally as well as those from out of state hunt dove. Aden Hooker and I shopped in Oxford and then we joined the family at Lafayette Springs for a cookout.
Birthday wishes to Charlie Hicks who will be 80 on Sept. 16.
Guide Browning of ICC in Fulton was home for Labor Day weekend.
Birthday wishes to Marquetta Spears and to Lisa(Hale)Kidd.
Regina Smith of New Orleans enjoyed a visit with her mom, Dot Caples on Sept. 12, and they attended the morning services at Hurricane Baptist Church.
Nelda Morgan of Hernando was home for the weekend with her mom, Geraldine Burchfield and attended church with her also at Hurricane.
Get well wishes to Doyle Russell and to Dr. Richard Russell of New Albany. Dr. Stanley Russell of Jackson recently was in the community as he visited his brothers.
Warren Norwood, Susan and Graden Hooker ate at Fat Cat’s on Hwy. 30 on Saturday night. We enjoyed talking to Mr. and Mrs. Robert Phillips of Oxford while there. Robert is the son of Rex(Norwood)Phillips and the grandson of the late Arthur and Maude(Johnson)Norwood of Macedonia.
Get well wishes to Roy Dillard. Dean Dillard of Nettlon visited Roy at his Duncan Creek home last week as well as Rosa and Steve Heatherly of Etta on Saturday, Sept. 11.
Edie Norwood Oliver of Eupora recently celebrated her 22nd birthday and is a graduate of Delta State University in May. She is now at Mississippi State University as she entered the veterinarian program this fall to continue her education. Her grandmother, Dotsy(Norwood)Williamson, also of Eupora and a former resident of Hurricane, is busy with the physical education department at MSU as she serves as their professor for student teaching assignments to various schools in the state.
A belated expression of expression is extended to the family of Bernice Gann(97) of Houlka. She was the great-grandmother of Brooke Hooker, and Braxton Hooker(2) represents the fifth generation of this family with Ellie Moore of Sarepta, her daughter, and James Moore of Sarepta, her grandson, completing the generations. I enjoyed a visit at her home two years ago, and her flowers were a source of pride on her lawn.
A belated expression of sympathy is extended to the family of Ludie Dorrough(82) of Fredonia who was the daughter of the late John Arthur Dorrough and Eunice(Graham)Dorrough.
Sympathy is extended to the family of Jack Ray Warren(84) of Olive Branch who was the son of the late Shirley Hill and Vera(Todd)Warren.
Sympathy is extended to the family of Connie(Warren)Heatherly of Turnpike who was the wife of the late Bernard Heatherly and the daughter of the late Ulton and Winnie(Blue)Warren. Interment was at Sand Springs Cemetery.
Sympathy is extended to the family of Bobby Sledge of Houston who was the uncle of Stephen(Caroline)Brents of Cane Creek.
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...