Sherman News, September 15, 2010
If you were unable to make it to Sherman Day this past Saturday, you missed a lot of fun, fellowship, and belly-laughs. The day began with a wonderful turnout of 105 entries in the Sherman Day 5K run, which was sponsored by Bresee Outpatient Physical Therapy. Several age division awards were given to males and females. The profits after expenses will go to the Sherman Special Events fund.
The Fire House poker run was a 60-mile motorcycle ride from 10 a.m. to noon, and all riders ate lunch after a friendly game of poker. The top five best hands and three random drawing hands received prizes from local merchants.
The Bark in the Park contest brought many local dogs dressed up in costumes and some ranging from painted pink toenails to big floppy ears. Five categories: Best Behaved, People’s Choice, Best Costume, Cutest, and Best Tailwagger were awarded first and second places. The lightning storm did not dampen the spirits of our four-legged friends.
The highlight of the evening was the dinner theater which brought many celebrities to the Sherman fire department with a sell-out crowd. The various acts included: “Glory, Glory” by Elvis, “Dancing Queen by ABBA, “The Single Ladies” by the Chipettes, “Proud to be an American” by Lee Greenwood, “Think and Respect” by Aretha Franklin, “Rollin’ on the River” by Tina Turner, The Gummy Bears, “Somebody’s Praying,” “She’s a brick house,” “I want to rock and roll all night” by Kiss, “Why’d You come in here looking like that?” by Dolly, “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy” by Mama’s Family trio, The Judd’s, “Harper Valley PTA, “Good ole Mountain Dew” by Grandpa Jones, “Have you Forgotten” tribute to 9-11, and the Ecru Fire Department came and performed three skits including “It’s me again, Margaret.”
The Sherman Special Events Committee wants to thank everyone for their contributions to making Sherman Day such a successful and memorable event.
Mayor Ben Logan, Alderman Dianne Jolly, Alderman Martha Swindle, Jeremy Swindle, Town Clerk Connie Allen, and Court Clerk Nicole Hill attended the Council of Government fish fry Aug. 31 at the Saltillo Community Center.
An 80th birthday celebration was held for Edath McDowell Sunday afternoon, Sept. 12, at the Sherman Baptist Activities Building.
The Tri-County Baptist youth went to Lighthouse Baptist in Fulton for a youth rally Saturday.
Sherman Church of Christ youth attended the area wide devotional at Booneville Sunday night.
The Sherman Church of Christ youth devotional will be held next Sunday night, Sept. 19.
The Gospel Meeting will be held Oct. 17 – 20, at Sherman Church of Christ. The preacher will be Charles Curtis from Corinth.
Sympathy is extended to Maggie Sue Brown and family in the death of her brother, Noel Ernest Reeder, 92, who died Sept. 4, at Church Street Personal Care Home in Ecru.
Sympathy is extended to Henry Wade in the death of his niece, Martha Addison, 55, who died Wednesday, September 8, at Community Hospice at Darlington Oaks in Verona.
Sympathy is extended to Tommy White and family in the death of his grandmother, Jettie May Bell Bridges, 92, who died Thursday, September 9, at Graceland Care Center in Pontotoc.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...