Head to the museum
One of the area’s favorite events for families with young children takes place Friday and Saturday at the Union County Heritage Museum.
The museum will have its 9th annual Heritage Pioneer Days, a living history event that shows off the rural life of the area in days gone by.
Students from area schools will be at the museum Friday for a variety of activities. The public is invited to come Saturday; the hours are 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and there’s a long list of activities. Manpower, mule power, making do, shaped note singing and lots of other rural heritage activities will be on display.
There will be contests and trophies to win for sack racing, egg and spoon racing, watermelon seed spitting, pea shelling and other things to keep the youngsters busy.
Children and their parents will have a change to see where butter and milk come from and visit a country store and a one-room school house. Making a fire by rubbing sticks together, banjo picking, dulcimer playing and lumberjack dancing also will be demonstrated.
New activities include rope making and log cabin building.
In addition to all the Pioneer Days activities, it’s a chance to look around the museum and see a little bit about the history of Union County. The museum is bursting at the seams with exhibits as it heads toward its 20th anniversary year.
A museum is one of the things that makes a community’s quality of life better and the Union County Heritage Museum certainly fits that description. Director Jill Smith and her staff and volunteers do a dedicated job on a small budget.
Check out the Heritage Pioneer Days Saturday or visit the museum on a quieter day. You’ll enjoy your visit.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...