Northeast schedules first ever softball alumni weekend
ortheast Mississippi Community College head softball coach Jody Long has scheduled the program’s first-ever fast-pitch alumni weekend.
Alumni of the Northeast fast-pitch softball program will descend upon the Booneville campus during homecoming weekend with the weekend culminating in a game featuring current and former stars of the Lady Tiger softball team.
Northeast’s feature game will be held on Sunday, October 17 at 1:30 p.m. at Booneville City Park.
The Lady Tiger softball alumni game will culminate a weekend full of homecoming activities such as the Northeast Development Foundation’s “Friend of the Tiger” golf tournament on Friday, October 15, the induction of the third class of the Northeast Sports Hall of Fame at 11 a.m. on Saturday, October 16 and Northeast’s homecoming game against Coahoma Community College at 2 p.m. on Saturday, October 16.
“We did it for three reasons,” Long said. “First, it is the 10-year anniversary of the program. Second, our fall games were removed so all we can play now is against our own players – intrasquad – or against our alumni. Finally, Coach (David) Carnell is being inducted into the Sports Hall of Fame and my hope is that some of the former players will come in early to attend Coach Carnell’s induction.”
Long and Carnell have been the only Northeast coaches to guide the fast-pitch program and Long said this is a way to give back to the players that helped build the program.
Carnell helped guide the Lady Tigers to a 28-12 record during their first year of fast-pitch competition in 2000-01 and captured a share of the North Division championship while finishing third in the state/ region tournament.
Northeast softball continued to dominate the North Division and became a player on the national scene when the Lady Tigers won the Region XXIII Tournament and advanced to the National Junior College Athletic Association’s (NJCAA) National Softball Championships in 2003.
Northeast came close to a return trip to the national tournament in 2004 and 2005 finishing as the Region XXIII runner-up.
Northeast’s softball team not only excelled on the diamond but in the classroom as well and was awarded as the NJCAA's Academic Team of the year in 2000-01 — Northeast's first year of fast-pitch competition — and was among the top academic teams in the country in 2002, 2003 and 2004.
As a way of giving back to those that helped build the program, Long has invited all former players back for the game and has also offered a free cookout to the alumni and current players following the alumni versus current players game.
Deadline to enter the Northeast softball alumni weekend is October 8. For more information about the weekend or to register, former players can contact Long at 662-720-7305 or email email@example.com.
About Chris Elkins
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- The Playhouse December 6, 2016
- Governor lifts burn ban December 6, 2016
- Deadline for letters to Santa is Friday, Dec. 9 December 6, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday December 6, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday