Riverfest Literary and Play Writing contest winners announced
Four groups of writers will be recognized during the Tallahatchie Riverfest Literary events to be held at 10:30 a.m., Sept. 24, 2010.
In the middle school competition, all winners came from the New Albany Middle School: First place goes to Sasha Briggs for “Gardening,” second place goes to Christopher E. Watson for “The Fishing Adventure,” and third place goes to Dajeh Cook for “Garden Memory.” At the high school level, Ingomar High School swept first, second, and third places. In first place is Lauren Langston for “Childhood Memories,” in second place is Jared Knight for “Church-Meeting,” and in third place is Clara Watson for “My Oasis.” Due to the large number of entries in the high school division, the committee awarded three honorable mentions, as follows: Emilee Bennett of New Albany High School for “Grandma’s Garden,” Stephen Laird of Ingomar High School for “Grandma’s House,” and Cierra Peak of New Albany High School for “Little Garden.”
Two divisions of adults will receive awards. In the adult division, Pete Cobb of New Albany placed first with “Garden Memories,” Sherrell Settlemires of Ripley placed second with “My Mother’s Prized Fern,” and Patricia Wiseman of New Albany placed third with “The Perfect Mother’s Day Gift.”
In the senior adult division, Katherine Dye of New Albany placed first with her essay called “Grandmother Alice’s Love for Flowers Lives On.” Elizabeth Pullam of Ripley wrote the second place essay called “Hallowed Ground.” Holding third place is Linda Treat of Blue Springs who wrote “A Summer Garden.”
In the playwriting competition Steve Blaylock from Verona took first place with “There’s a Man Next Door and He’s Alive!” Carla Stanford is the second place winner with “Come Sunset.”
The first place winning play will be performed by the Tallahatchie River Players at 2 p.m., Saturday Sept. 25 in the Civic Center. The play will be free to the public in the Magnolia Civic Center in Historic Downtown New Albany.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...