Red Cross a mess
The situation with the American Red Cross operation in New Albany continues to deteriorate with the resignation of Sally Zemek, the local part-time staff member.
An ill-conceived plan to abolish the local Red Cross chapter and Zemek’s part-time job as its director has resulted in a situation that can best be described as a mess.
Responsibility for the mess lies squarely with the Red Cross Division 3 regional office in Texas that handles Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas and Oklahoma. The division announced with no notice and without consulting political and civic leaders in New Albany that the chapter would be closed.
After much criticism, the group said an office, not a chapter, would be retained here, but virtually all of the operation would be handled out the Red Cross office in Tupelo.
The shoddy treatment of Zemek and local officials has had several results. First, the highly respected Zemek was promptly recruited away to be the part-time director of the Lighthouse Enrichment Center, a local non-profit organization that provides home repair for elderly and disabled homeowners in Union County. Zemek will retain her other part-time job as director of the Union County Good Samaritan Center.
Second, as expected, Union County eliminated its $7,000 contribution to the Red Cross and New Albany voted to end its $5,000 contribution. It is not yet known whether the Union County allocations committee of the United Way will eliminate its $8,000 in annual support.
The Red Cross always has been a quality organization that provides help through staff members and volunteers. It’s too bad that poor regional decisions have sullied its reputation in our community.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series