It’s a happening weekend in New Albany as the community’s biggest annual event, Tallahatchie RiverFest, spotlights our community and its downtown.
Events got underway Thursday with the celebration of the Faulkner Literary Garden’s 5th anniversary at the Union County Heritage Museum. Felder Rushing, Mississippi author and radio personality, was scheduled to be the highlight
Friday is the LiteracyFest and literacy competition awards. The event, sponsored by the New Albany Gazette, provides awards for writing to middle school students, high school students, adults and playwrights. Rushing will speak at the event at 10:30 a.m. in the Magnolia Civic Center.
The music on Friday starts at noon on the Bob Johnson Music Stage at the Courthouse with a variety of groups that will keep the stage occupied until nearly 11 p.m. Saturday begis with the 21sth annual BNA Bank Tallahatchie River Run. The one-half mile fun run starts at 8 a.m. and the 5K river run at 8:30.
Saturday morning’s focus also is on the vendors that will line Bankhead and the surrounding area as well as children’s activities. New Albany Main Street Association sponsors a free art activity for children at 10 a.m. at the Civic Center.
Music again starts at noon on the Courthouse stage. The major highlights are the Mosley and Johnson Band with Blues legend Sam Mosley accompanied by the Muscle Shoals Horns at 7:30 p.m. followed at 9 p.m. by long-time country music singer Marty Stuart and His Fabulous Superlatives.
This is the 18th year for our festival, which continues to draw people from throughout the region. How successful it is depends on whether you come, and the impression our community leaves with visitors.
See you at the festival.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series