It’s a happening weekend in New Albany as the community’s biggest annual event, Tallahatchie RiverFest, spotlights our community and its downtown.
Events got underway Thursday with the celebration of the Faulkner Literary Garden’s 5th anniversary at the Union County Heritage Museum. Felder Rushing, Mississippi author and radio personality, was scheduled to be the highlight
Friday is the LiteracyFest and literacy competition awards. The event, sponsored by the New Albany Gazette, provides awards for writing to middle school students, high school students, adults and playwrights. Rushing will speak at the event at 10:30 a.m. in the Magnolia Civic Center.
The music on Friday starts at noon on the Bob Johnson Music Stage at the Courthouse with a variety of groups that will keep the stage occupied until nearly 11 p.m. Saturday begis with the 21sth annual BNA Bank Tallahatchie River Run. The one-half mile fun run starts at 8 a.m. and the 5K river run at 8:30.
Saturday morning’s focus also is on the vendors that will line Bankhead and the surrounding area as well as children’s activities. New Albany Main Street Association sponsors a free art activity for children at 10 a.m. at the Civic Center.
Music again starts at noon on the Courthouse stage. The major highlights are the Mosley and Johnson Band with Blues legend Sam Mosley accompanied by the Muscle Shoals Horns at 7:30 p.m. followed at 9 p.m. by long-time country music singer Marty Stuart and His Fabulous Superlatives.
This is the 18th year for our festival, which continues to draw people from throughout the region. How successful it is depends on whether you come, and the impression our community leaves with visitors.
See you at the festival.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...