Supervisor critical after wreck
A member of the Union County Board of Supervisors was listed in critical condition following a one-vehicle accident late last Friday afternoon.
District Two Supervisor Sammy Coffey, of Etta, was listed in the trauma and intensive care department of the Regional Medical Center in Memphis, Tenn. as of press time.
Coffey sustained serious injuries during an accident that happened at approximately 4:45 p.m., Sept. 17 on Highway 30 in Lafayette County.
According to Mississippi Highway Patrol Troop E Public Affairs Officer Joseph Miller, Coffey was traveling eastbound on Highway 30 when the accident occurred.
“The vehicle he was driving went off the road on the left side of the highway,” Miller said. “The accident report said that he sustained moderate injuries and was charged with allegedly driving under the influence.”
Highway Patrol Trooper Robert Hamblin handled the accident.
Coffey was transported by ambulance to the Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford, Miller said.
As of Wednesday evening, Coffey’s name was not listed in the Lafayette County jail docket.
According to hospital records, Coffey was checked in to the Regional Medical Center in Memphis, Tenn. on Saturday, Sept. 18.
Coffey was first elected to the board of supervisors in 2003, when he defeated incumbent Danny Barnes with 64 percent of the vote. In the time since he has been on the board, Coffey has been involved in the Union County Development Association, the Pontotoc-Union-Lee Alliance and other organizations.
Coffey is also the owner of Coffey Trucking in Etta.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...