UC falls at Belmont
Union County JV found the intensity they had in their opening game against Ripley, defeating Belmont on the road, 14-8, on Tuesday.
Broderick Montgomery and Jonathan Thomas each had scores for UC, after finding themselves down early in the game.
“We were down 8-6 and had the ball fourth and goal and couldn’t punch it in,” UC head coach Scott Duley said. “Our defense held up on the next possession and we were able to go in and score and maintained that lead to win the game.”
Belmont had three turnovers, all forced by Montgomery, who stepped up again for UC.
“He had a tremendous game” Duley said of Montgomery. “Defensively, we took the ball away three times in a row, so I’m pleased with our effort on both sides of the ball.”
The junior high squad saw much improvement from their first game, despite falling 32-0 to Belmont.
“They played better, and the main positive we’re taking from this is that we had no turnovers,” Duley said.
“We had some big plays on our first possession, but we lost Ty McDonald (starting QB and DE), which hurt us early. We didn’t have anyone to back him up.”
Junior high will next play New Albany on Monday, and junior varsity will host Jumpertown next Thursday at Kitchens’ Field.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- City officials: Do what you can now…but plan for the future December 1, 2016
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...