Smithville takes division title over Ingomar
Missed opportunities helped Smithville win a division title, as the Lady Seminoles defeated Ingomar 9-2 on Thursday.
The Lady ‘Noles opened their scoring attack in the third, as a walk and three straight singles brought in the first run. An error and another single by Jennie Avery made it 3-0.
Smithville added on another run in the third, and the Lady Falcons got on the board in the third, as Kate Webb hit a two-out double and scored off a single by Shelly Grisham.
Up 5-1 in the top of the seventh, the Lady ‘Noles scored four runs off five straight hits. Mallory Adair hit a leadoff single in the bottom half of the frame and scored on a single by Webb.
Ingomar had opportunities to score, primarily in the first and sixth innings, but could not capitalize in the loss.
“Any opportunity we had, we totally missed it, one hundred percent. We got outplayed in every aspect of the game,” Ingomar head coach Andy Wilbanks said. “I thought coming in, with it being the biggest game of the year, we’d be up, and we were not. After it was three to nothing, we were done. They never came back, never responded, and we need to work on that going into the playoffs for sure.”
Web led the Lady Falcons with three hits and an RBI, while Reid Little and Grisham each had two hits.
For Smithville, Breanna Edgeworth had three hits and Kami Roberts, Linsey Lann, Laken Armstrong and Lane Kennedy each had two in the win.
Ingomar will host North Pontotoc this week before the playoffs.
About Chris Elkins
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- Lady Urchin Power January 21, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- Playoff bound January 20, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...