Lady Urchins unable to top Hamilton
The Lady Urchins were looking for a big hit, and it came from one of the smallest girls in the lineup.
After six straight hits tied game two in the fifth inning, Mallory Roberts stepped to the plate and delivered one of the biggest hits of the season for East Union, scoring three runs and giving the Lady Urchins a 12-9 lead over Hamilton in game two of their first round series.
Unfortunately for the Lady Urchins, Caitlyn Atkins’ responded with a three-run shot in the sixth, and the Lady Lions would go on for the 14-12 win, sweeping the series.
“It was huge,” East Union head coach Andy Kirk said of Roberts’ hit, “but we couldn’t get anything in the sixth and seventh innings. She’s done a tremendous job this year pitching for us as well. I put so much pressure on my pitchers walking people, loading bases, and she can be down 3-0 and she’ll throw three straight strikes. It’s what she’s done all year.”
After taking game one, 8-1, Hamilton jumped to an early 7-0 lead after the first inning with East Union committing two errors and Hamilton scoring off only three hits.
“We weren’t our normal selves today, almost like we were in a daze,” Kirk said. “I don’t know if it’s the playoffs or what, but in between games we started having fun, even though it wasn’t much fun in the first inning of the second game.”
The Lady Urchins came back with five runs in the second, with Roberts notching her first of two hits in the game. The six-run inning that gave East Union the lead was capped by 10 hits, including a two RBI triple by Rachel Elder, who scored to tie the game off a single by Brittany Pruett.
While the Lady Urchins were unable to advance in the playoffs, it was still a successful season with East Union winning 21 games, the most in school history.
“We’re excited to have won 21 games this year, and it’s remarkable what they’ve accomplished,” Kirk said.
“We’re looking forward to getting into the weight room this offseason. We’re a young team and have a lot to look forward to.”
East Union ends their 2010 campaign at 21-9.
About Chris Elkins
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- Playoff bound January 20, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- Weather Service to visit as part of severe storm awareness, training January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...