Lady Urchins unable to top Hamilton
The Lady Urchins were looking for a big hit, and it came from one of the smallest girls in the lineup.
After six straight hits tied game two in the fifth inning, Mallory Roberts stepped to the plate and delivered one of the biggest hits of the season for East Union, scoring three runs and giving the Lady Urchins a 12-9 lead over Hamilton in game two of their first round series.
Unfortunately for the Lady Urchins, Caitlyn Atkins’ responded with a three-run shot in the sixth, and the Lady Lions would go on for the 14-12 win, sweeping the series.
“It was huge,” East Union head coach Andy Kirk said of Roberts’ hit, “but we couldn’t get anything in the sixth and seventh innings. She’s done a tremendous job this year pitching for us as well. I put so much pressure on my pitchers walking people, loading bases, and she can be down 3-0 and she’ll throw three straight strikes. It’s what she’s done all year.”
After taking game one, 8-1, Hamilton jumped to an early 7-0 lead after the first inning with East Union committing two errors and Hamilton scoring off only three hits.
“We weren’t our normal selves today, almost like we were in a daze,” Kirk said. “I don’t know if it’s the playoffs or what, but in between games we started having fun, even though it wasn’t much fun in the first inning of the second game.”
The Lady Urchins came back with five runs in the second, with Roberts notching her first of two hits in the game. The six-run inning that gave East Union the lead was capped by 10 hits, including a two RBI triple by Rachel Elder, who scored to tie the game off a single by Brittany Pruett.
While the Lady Urchins were unable to advance in the playoffs, it was still a successful season with East Union winning 21 games, the most in school history.
“We’re excited to have won 21 games this year, and it’s remarkable what they’ve accomplished,” Kirk said.
“We’re looking forward to getting into the weight room this offseason. We’re a young team and have a lot to look forward to.”
East Union ends their 2010 campaign at 21-9.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series