Bulldogs start two game road slate at North Pontotoc
New Albany makes a short trip to Ecru this week with the hopes of remaining undefeated and earning another division win.
On tap this week is North Pontotoc, a team that has performed better than their current 4-3 record. Losing two straight games in the fourth quarter, the Vikings’ high-scoring offense, led by quarterback Brandon Bailey, will present another challenge for the New Albany defense.
“Their kids are going to be motivated, and they have a good team who have scored a lot of points on two very good teams (Shannon and Itawamba), so our defense is going to have a challenge,” NAHS head coach Ron Price said.
Bailey has thrown for over 1,000 yards so far this season, while passing for 13 touchdowns and running for five, and is the team’s second leading rusher with 257 yards. Bailey also has four receivers with over 100 yards, led by Caleb Mills, a junior that’s contributing on both sides of the ball.
Defensively, the Vikings have eight interceptions and have recovered 22 fumbles.
“You try all week to get them as prepared for the game as you can, and as coaches, show them plays that North has been successful on,” Price said of the Bulldogs’ defensive preparation. “If you’re going to win a division championship, you have to take every game seriously, stay focused and make the plays, so hopefully our kids will be up for that Friday night.”
The Bulldogs hope to start the game strong much like they did last season, as they went ahead 21-0 early enroute to the 42-20 win at home.
Kickoff for the divisional match-up is set for 7 p.m.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...