Bulldogs start two game road slate at North Pontotoc
New Albany makes a short trip to Ecru this week with the hopes of remaining undefeated and earning another division win.
On tap this week is North Pontotoc, a team that has performed better than their current 4-3 record. Losing two straight games in the fourth quarter, the Vikings’ high-scoring offense, led by quarterback Brandon Bailey, will present another challenge for the New Albany defense.
“Their kids are going to be motivated, and they have a good team who have scored a lot of points on two very good teams (Shannon and Itawamba), so our defense is going to have a challenge,” NAHS head coach Ron Price said.
Bailey has thrown for over 1,000 yards so far this season, while passing for 13 touchdowns and running for five, and is the team’s second leading rusher with 257 yards. Bailey also has four receivers with over 100 yards, led by Caleb Mills, a junior that’s contributing on both sides of the ball.
Defensively, the Vikings have eight interceptions and have recovered 22 fumbles.
“You try all week to get them as prepared for the game as you can, and as coaches, show them plays that North has been successful on,” Price said of the Bulldogs’ defensive preparation. “If you’re going to win a division championship, you have to take every game seriously, stay focused and make the plays, so hopefully our kids will be up for that Friday night.”
The Bulldogs hope to start the game strong much like they did last season, as they went ahead 21-0 early enroute to the 42-20 win at home.
Kickoff for the divisional match-up is set for 7 p.m.
About Chris Elkins
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- Playoff bound January 20, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- Weather Service to visit as part of severe storm awareness, training January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...