Red Cross changes criticized
Mark J. Smith, the interim director of the American Red Cross for the sate of Mississippi in Jackson, stated in a letter to the editor on Oct. 15: “We were disappointed by your misleading editorial of Sept. 22, which does a disservice to your readers that the American Red Cross has ceased operations in New Albany.”
Use your own judgment with the following information:
1. All mail to the Union County Red Cross location in New Albany is automatically sent to the Red Cross Chapter in Tupelo.
2. All calls to the number for the for the Union County Red Cross location, 534-5023, are automatically sent to the Red Cross Chapter in Tupelo where you will get a recording of the several numbers you can call. Try it and see!
3. Go by the Union County Red Cross location in New Albany and ring the door bell at any time of the day during the week and see who answers the door.
4. In essence, the Red Cross building in New Albany is just a location for the Red Cross Chapter in Tupelo.
5. All of the previous volunteers for the former Union County Red Cross Chapter (now a location) have either resigned or are no longer active in the American Red Cross.
6. The former board members and Chapter officers were told they were no longer needed since the “Chapter” no longer existed because of the reorganization of the Mississippi American Red Cross.
(Towner is a past director, board member and volunteer for the Red Cross in Union County for more than 25 years.)
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...