Hurricane News, October 27, 2010
The community continues to be a hub of activity with the Wise Farms Corn maze and other entertainment options for the youngsters and for the young at heart on Shady Grove Road. Behind the community center at Hurricane is the Haunted Forest which will continue through this weekend. Bullard’s Grocery has extended their hours for business in downtown Hurricane.
Birthday wishes to Carolyn Carnes, Isaiah Stuto, and to Charlotte Hooker.
Get well wishes to Roy Dillard, Johnny Buchanan, Inez Robison, Patrick Stuto, and to Reba Graham.
Congratulations to Attorney Shane McLaughlin and his wife, Nicole Harris McLaughlin of Tupelo, upon the arrival of their son, Ethan Alexander McLaughlin on October 6. Proud grandparents are Bazel and Bennie(Graham)McLaughlin of the community.
Congratulations to Jeremy and Beth(Russell)Graham upon the arrival of Mary Hatley Graham. She is the granddaughter of Dewayne and Denece(Hale)Graham and the great-granddaughter of Roy and Faye(Cobb)Hale of Sand Springs. They can count five generations now with Faye’s mother, Mrs. Cobb of Ingomar completing the lineage.
Congratulations to Olivia Ann Rosentreter who was married to Larry Dewayne Mink on October 23, 2010 in Booneville. She is the daughter of Dona and Harold Jumper of Pontotoc and of the late Eddie Rosentreter of Buchanan.
Congratulations to Missy Russell and to Cole Carruth who were married on July 17, 2010 in a summer garden ceremony at First Methodist Church in New Albany. Missy is the daughter of Dr. Richard and Jackie(Bass)Russell of New Albany, and her paternal grandparents were the late R. Kendall and Ida(Warren)Russell of Hurricane.
A familiar face in the crowd photographed at a South Pontotoc football game was Dick Caron as he and Celia have had a busy fall attending as their grandson, Wesley Barefield, is the quarterback for the Cougars. Wesley has been featured as an outstanding player of the week for both the Progress and the Daily Journal. He is the son of Renee and Donald Barefield of Randolph.
Elizabeth Warren Frohn will celebrate her second birthday on Nov. 1.
Graden and Colt Hooker enjoyed a deer hunt in Fulton County Illinois in late October.
Our family was deeply saddened by the death of my father, Warren Norwood on October 15, 2010. His friends and family will miss his presence in Hurricane and at Hurricane Baptist Church. Those who came for his services on October 17 from out of town are as follows: Louise N. Kyle, Olive Branch; Sen. Jim Kyle, Mike and Cathy Kyle, Pam K. Baker, Floyce Long, Sandy Williams, Earl Dillard, Opal Hobbs, all of Memphis; Marty and Nancy Norwood, Becky Oliver, Eupora; Dr. Bill and Melissa Norwood, Murfreesboro, Tennessee; A.M. and Shelia Norwood, Judge Jimmy Roberts, Sen. Nicky Browning, Rep. Mac Huddleston, Pontotoc; Terry Norwood, Robert S. Norwood, Clellan Norwood, Robert Norwood, Jay and Sarah Garrett, Dr. Richard Russell,
Mary Stanford, Fleet Rowan,all of New Albany; and Billy Todd, Fulton. Mr. Rowan served in the U.S. Army with Warren in Japan with the Occupation Forces and said that they had one other friend, Gerald Gaines of Ingomar that kept it touch. He reminded me that Daddy made the first team with the 21st Regiment basketball team that traveled the Pacific area for games. The military honor guard performed a most touching service at the interment at Sand Springs Cemetery as the beautiful, late autumn sunshine and “Taps” closed the ending of the day.
Sympathy is extended to the family of Barbara Young Ford(99) of Etta who was the daughter of the late Will and Maggie(Russell)Hudson of Christian’s Rest. She served as community correspondent and was a first cousin to my grandmother, the late Sudiebet Graham(96). This Russell family had several cousins that were nonagenarians as longevity has been a blessing. Pearl(Drury)Dillard was the eldest as she was 105 at her passing.
About Chris Elkins
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- The Playhouse December 6, 2016
- Governor lifts burn ban December 6, 2016
- Deadline for letters to Santa is Friday, Dec. 9 December 6, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday December 6, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday