New Albany wins Traceway Championship
Exciting things have taken place at Kitchens’ Field all season, and Tuesday night, the middle school Bulldogs capped their season with a win over Amory in the Traceway Conference Championship.
The Bulldogs last won the Traceway title with this year’s senior class in 2005. Ironically as they vie for a state title, the up and coming ‘Dawgs showed fans what they have to look forward to in the coming years.
“They’re very talented and they have a good mixture of that talent,” head coach Buddy Hall said. “We have guys who can run and guys who can block, and some teams in junior high are big, but can’t run or you get the ones that can run, but not the big guys. I’ve coached for five years, and this is the best group that I’ve seen.”
Jimmy Baldon connected with Jarel Lipsey for the Bulldogs’ first touchdown and Lipsey added the two-point conversion to give New Albany the 8-0 lead in the second quarter.
Amory had a chance to tie the game before the half, but penalties pushed the Panthers back and New Albany held on to their lead at the half.
The Panthers would score late in the third to tie the game, but a 38-yard run by Baldon gave New Albany the lead once more.
Lipsey had an interception on Amory’s ensuing drive, which set up Baldon’s second touchdown and another Bulldog interception, this time by Dorian Gaston, set up the Bulldogs’ final score, leading them to the 30-8 victory.
“We didn’t know anything about them because we haven’t played them this year, so they had us in the first half and were doing things we weren’t expecting,” Hall said. “We had to make some adjustments at the half, and the guys stepped up and once we got ahead again, they were comfortable and we had a couple big turnovers go our way.”
The middle school Bulldogs end their 2010 campaign with a 7-2 record.
About Chris Elkins
- Macedonia news October 18, 2016
- Cancer patients, families, caregivers need our prayers October 25, 2016
- McCullough joins ACT 30+ Club at New Albany High School October 25, 2016
- ‘Bespoke’ open for business October 25, 2016
- Hurricane news October 25, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...