Digitizing our records
Union County has decided to digitally archive and preserve county land records.
The Board of Supervisors approved a request by Chancery Clerk Annette Hickey to digitize the documents that are currently in large bound books in the office.
“The archiving will go back 30 years,” she said. “The books will be converted to digital images by the Windward Group out of Louisiana.”
The change will ensure the long-lasting quality of the documents and prevent additional damage to the books from people looking through them, she said.
The cost of the project is estimated at $11,844 and will be paid from the chancery clerk’s budget.
Local real estate attorney John Haynes IV said the decision will make it easier to check titles and also guard against losing records due to a fire. Records already were destroyed in a fire during the late 1800s, he said.
“With the development we will have coming to the county because of Toyota, this is an important move,” he said.
Yet to be decided is whether the public will be able to access the records from places other than the clerk’s office, and whether a few will be charged.
We are in favor of making sure that public records are available to look at without charge at the clerk’s office, even if they are on computer.
If the county incurs expense for providing the service off-premises, we think a modest fee might be in order.
In any case, digitizing the records is the right thing to do, and is continuing evidence of the progressive thinking on the part of Ms Hickey in operating the chancery clerk’s office.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...