UC’s second season comes to a close
Union County ended the second year of their program with an impressive 36-16 win over Jumpertown on Thursday night.
Broderick Montgomery ran for four touchdowns, three in the first quarter, leading UC’s offense on the ground. Up 16-0, Shaquille Hollimon had an interception that led to an 80-yard run by Montgomery to give them the 24-0 lead after the first quarter.
Vadale Rucker capped the scoring with a kickoff return off a touchdown after the Cardinals’ first touchdown in the third quarter.
“It was a positive end,” UC head coach Scott Duley said. “We worked hard today, and we got everyone playing time, which is an important thing. I’m very proud of the young men, and I’m excited for them, but I told them this is just the beginning. We need to get started on our off-season program, and we’ve had a relatively successful season. Next year we look for bigger, better things as we work this off-season.”
Duley completed his first season at the helm of the program, and working with the team this year, he noted the biggest development he saw with his group comes on the offensive and defensive lines, which contributed to much of Montgomery’s offensive success this season.
“Our defensive and offensive linemen have learned how to play their techniques,” he said. “Tonight, we were able to run our offense the way I hoped we would all year. We played well, we didn’t lay down, and we ran one specific play that I wanted to run all year, and we ran that play well tonight. The development has been wonderful, and I’m thankful for this opportunity and for what we’ve been able to accomplish this year.”
Union County ends the year with a 5-3 record and much to look forward this off-season as well as next season.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...