Liberty School News, November 5, 2010
Lil Grisham gave the welcome to the October 9, 2010 Liberty School reunion. (Previous five-year reunions were held in 1992, 1997, 2002, and 2007). Beginning in 2008 an October reunion has been held each year. There were fifty-two who attended the 2010 reunion. Stephen Fitzgerald gave the blessing prior to the covered-dish meal. The meal was in recognition of all October birthdays and anniversaries. Frances Dunlap brought the cake.
Lil Grisham recognized: Lorene Cox Belyeu, the oldest student attendee and Diane Garrett Smith, the youngest student attendee. Mrs. Belyeu was in the class of 1925 and is 96 yeas of age. Attendee Mrs. Ruby Harris Tyer also was in the class of 1925. Two of their classmates were unable to attend – Mabel Pickens Downs and Austin Herring. Mrs. Lucille Hamblin Fitzgerald was recognized as a former Liberty school teacher. Ms. Grisham read a list of those students deceased since the 2009 reunion: Brenda Gail Lee Brewer, James “Pete” Brown, Idell Rakestraw Crumpton, Carol Hamblin, Katie Higgins Knighton, Guy Langford, J. T. Rush, Dorothy Garrett Thomas. She also announced the joining of thirteen members to the monthly school meetings. Gwyn and Wayne Barkley, Marie Fitzgerald Bayless, Carolyn Sanford Brooks, Jane Fitzgerald Carter, David Crumpton, Frances Dunson, Sarah Farris, Juanita Lowery, Jane Kennedy and David Raines, LouAnn and Doug Raines.
Ms. Grisham asked for audience participation in a trip “down Liberty School memory lane.” Dorothy Robbins Strawn related swallowing a tooth that Mrs. Beatrice Henry, teacher, helped her pull. She said that Mrs. Henry gave her banana the rest of the day. Jimmy Garrett stated that Mr. John Franklin Randolph, teacher, really liked to apply the paddle to him. Mr. Ray Fitzgerald, class of 1926, sad that Effie Cruse was his teacher and later he dated and married Lucille Hamblin when she was a teacher at the school. Windom Jackson told that Ottis Dunlap held the paddling record with him not far behine. Mr. Clay Miller was Mr. Jackson’s teacher.
Ms. Grisham then introduced “Southern Comfort Band” who provided entertainment for the afternoon. Members of the band: Larry Dunahoo, Booneville (drums); Billy Fooshee, New Albany (guitar and vocal); Lee Hunt, New Albany (lead guitar and steel guitar); Hershel McMillen, New Albany (guitar and vocal); Joe Young, New Albany (bass). Included in their program: “ keys in the Mailbox,” “She Thinks I Still Care,” “My Heart Tells Me Stay, My Pride Tells Me Go,” “Old Flame,” “Lily of the Valley” (instrumental—steel guitar), “Wind Me Up,” Farmer’s Blues” (dedicated to farmers), “Working Man’s Blues,” Golden Band on the Right Left Hand,” “Fig City, Turn Me Loose, Set Me Free,” “I had a Beautiful Time,” “Don’t You Ever Get Tired of Hurting Me,” “Go Rest High on That Mountain.” Thank you :Southern Comfort.” We appreciate your faithfulness to the school.
October birthdays: Carolyn Sanford Brooks, Betty Huffstatler Cobb, Joanne Henry Gaines, Flora Gaines Lemmons, James “Jimmy” Robbins, Doris Stout Shelton, Dorothy Stout Williams. October anniversaries: Joyce and Stephen Fitzgerald, 58 years and Mrs. And Mrs. Billy Fooshee, 53 years.
School officer attendees: Lil Huffstatler Grisham, President; Joanne Henry Gaines, Secretary; Joyce Dunlap Fitzgerald; Treasurer. Officer not present. E. M. “Boots” Herring; Vice President. Board members: Marie Fitzgerald Bayless, Frances Robbins Dunlap, Ray Fitzgerald, Stephen Fitzgerald, Bobby Henry, Charlie W. Huffstatler. Board members not present: Marie Dunlap Coley, Norman Dunlap and Virgil Herring.
Other attendess: Elizaberth, Joleigh, and Joel Boler (Corinth), Larry Dunahoo (Booneville), Eddie Glover (Cxolumbus, New Mexico), Peggy and H. W. Jackson, (McKenzie, TN), Dianne Garrett Smith (Benton, AR), Annie Turner (Saltillo), Blue Springs attendees: Betty Huffstatler Rowan, Victoria Rakestraw. New Albany attendees: Lorraine Henry Ballard, Lorene Cox Belyeu, Billie Ruth Rnadolph Buskirk, Jane Fitzgerald Carter, Jimmy Cobb, David Crumpton, Eunice Harris Duncan, Dovie Evans, Lucille Hamblin and Ray Fitzgerald, billy Fooshee, Ellen K. Ford, Jimmy Garrett, Frances Fitts Henry, Lee Hunt, Hershel McMillen, Louann and Doug Raines, James “Jimmy” Robbins, Charlie Sappington, Doris and Doug Shelton, George Sloan, Mary and Alvie Stout, Ruby and James Stout, Dorothy Robbins and Barry Strawn, Ruby Harris Tyer, Carolyn and Bill Wigington and Joe Young.
The November meeting and covered-dish dinner will be held Tuesday, November 16th beginning at 6:00 P.M. “Country Classis” from Falkner will provide the entertainment.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series