Local citizens group discusses community swimming pool topic
Development of programming that serves several needs is the key to having a successful community swimming pool operation, a New Albany community group was told Monday.
Brian Manning of Ingomar, a retired naval commander and supporter of developing a community pool in New Albany, said programming in four areas would keep a community pool busy.
The areas are competitive swimming teams, both school-based and recreational; adult fitness; learn-to-swim programs such as those operated by the American Red Cross, and rehabilitation therapy.
Manning told a meeting of Engaging New Albany’s Citizens Today at the Coffee Addict that year-round community pools are expensive to build and maintain, but are important to improving quality of life in a community.
He said USA Swimming, the governing body of swimming in this country, can provide help in planning and development of a pool that would be the right size for a community like New Albany. Formation of the community support group would be one of the first steps, he said.
He said access to the New Albany city pool when he was growing up changed his life. He currently drives his son to Tupelo every day to participate in competitive swimming activities.
The meeting was attended by about 25 city residents including Mayor Tim Kent and two members of the Board of Aldermen, Jeff Olson and Johnny Anderson.
The mayor said no money is available currently for development of a city pool, but land is available at the Sportsplex to add such a facility should one become feasible.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series