Bulldogs set for road battle
New Albany will have the tough task of going on the road for their second round game this week, traveling to Kosciusko Friday night.
The Whippets (8-5) enter the game off their 33-10 win at Cleveland in the first round, and while their offensive stats are not as impressive, they run the double wing formation, running the ball and keeping their opposing offense sidelined.
“They’re very well coached on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball,” NAHS head coach Ron Price said. “They’ve got five or six guys that can run the ball, and their yards are all about the same. Their one back (John Kern) is a big guy, about 225 lbs, and he’s just powerful. I think they just want to run the clock; do what they do, run the ball for five or six yards a carry and keep our offense off the field.”
Taking advantage of their offensive possessions will be key for the Bulldogs this week, as Price noted Kosciusko will be one of the toughest defensive units his team will face this season.
“The possessions we have, we’ve got to come away with points. That’s what we’ve preached this week,” he said. “Each possession on offense, it’s going to be critical that we come away with points, because we expect them to eat up the clock and keep us off the field. The few possessions we’ll have, we need to come away with, hopefully, touchdowns, but at least field goals.”
Having played in a tough division with Noxubee County and Louisville, Price expects a tough battle to advance in the playoffs.
“They’ll be a big challenge for us,” he said. “It looks like as the season has gone on, they’ve gotten better around the end of the year, so it’s going to definitely be a challenge going on the road. If our guys come out and play, I think we’ll be okay.”
The Bulldogs and Whippets are set for a 7 p.m. kickoff Friday in Kosciusko. If you are unable to make the trip, you can listen to the live broadcast on WNAU 1470 AM.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...