Supervisors lift county-wide burn ban
Following in the footsteps Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour made last week to lift a statewide burn ban, the Union County Board of Supervisors lifted the county-wide ban Monday.
The Union County Board of Supervisors instituted the burn ban in mid-October and it was originally set to be lifted as of Oct. 31, 2010.
According to the Mississippi Forestry Commission, Gov. Barbour issued a letter lifting the statewide burn ban last Wednesday. The lift is a result of increased precipitation, forecasted weather patterns and decreased fire occurrence.
William Mills with Mills and Mills Architects, PC, the firm doing architecture work on the Chancery Courtroom renovation, came before the board Monday to discuss finances on the renovation project.
He said, “It looks like we can do the work for around $4,100, which is half the price of what we originally thought.”
Mills said that he looked at some areas where work can be done at a lower cost. The renovations have already begun. Steel-Con, Inc. of New Albany is the contractor for this job.
Part of the money for the renovation came from a Small Municipalities and Limited Populations grant, totaling approximately $100,000. The remaining money spent on the renovations will come from the county’s general fund. The completion time is 120 days.
In addition, the board authorized Board President Danny Jordan to sign the contract for construction work to begin on the roof of Judge Talmadge Littlejohn’s office building. Scott Dunnam is the contractor for this project, which has an estimated cost of $16,000.00.
The board will reconvene Monday, Nov. 15, 2010 at 10 a.m. in the Union County Chancery Boardroom. All public is invited to attend.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins outrun Bears in jamboree win August 18, 2016
- Klarksyn Denise Coleman birth announcement August 23, 2016
- Wilder to celebrate 90th birthday August 23, 2016
- Purvis couple celebrates 70th wedding anniversary August 23, 2016
- Hurricane news August 23, 2016
- Long ball drops Lady Hawks August 23, 2016
- Latest city school test scores good August 23, 2016
- Multi-faceted author John Hailman to be guest speaker at Faulkner Literary Luncheon August 23, 2016
- Delinquent tax land sale something of misnomer August 23, 2016
- Paul Rainey museum program returns by popular demand August 23, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...