Supervisors lift county-wide burn ban
Following in the footsteps Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour made last week to lift a statewide burn ban, the Union County Board of Supervisors lifted the county-wide ban Monday.
The Union County Board of Supervisors instituted the burn ban in mid-October and it was originally set to be lifted as of Oct. 31, 2010.
According to the Mississippi Forestry Commission, Gov. Barbour issued a letter lifting the statewide burn ban last Wednesday. The lift is a result of increased precipitation, forecasted weather patterns and decreased fire occurrence.
William Mills with Mills and Mills Architects, PC, the firm doing architecture work on the Chancery Courtroom renovation, came before the board Monday to discuss finances on the renovation project.
He said, “It looks like we can do the work for around $4,100, which is half the price of what we originally thought.”
Mills said that he looked at some areas where work can be done at a lower cost. The renovations have already begun. Steel-Con, Inc. of New Albany is the contractor for this job.
Part of the money for the renovation came from a Small Municipalities and Limited Populations grant, totaling approximately $100,000. The remaining money spent on the renovations will come from the county’s general fund. The completion time is 120 days.
In addition, the board authorized Board President Danny Jordan to sign the contract for construction work to begin on the roof of Judge Talmadge Littlejohn’s office building. Scott Dunnam is the contractor for this project, which has an estimated cost of $16,000.00.
The board will reconvene Monday, Nov. 15, 2010 at 10 a.m. in the Union County Chancery Boardroom. All public is invited to attend.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series