Myrtle takes wins over Wheeler
The Hawks picked up their second straight win of the season behind the hot shooting of Steven Taylor and Keon Hampton, defeating Wheeler 75-48 Monday night.
Cruz Weatherall helped Myrtle with two three-pointers in the first quarter, but the Eagles held close, keeping it a tied game, 15-15. Hampton stepped up with eight second quarter points to give the Hawks the edge at the half, and Myrtle would put the game away, outscoring Wheeler 24-7 in the third quarter.
Taylor led with 20 points for Myrtle (2-3), while Hampton added 17 in the win.
Myrtle 68 Wheeler 40 (girls)
Aspriona Gilbert’s 31 points led the Lady Hawks in their win over Wheeler, 68-40.
The junior was held to only two first quarter points, but Halle Knowles stepped up with eight and Kianna Cox added five, while Myrtle’s defense only allowed a single basket for the Lady Eagles.
Ahead 19-2, Gilbert scored 12 of Myrtle’s 17 second quarter points and the Lady Hawks led 36-7 at the break.
Knowles finished with 12 points for Myrtle (3-1), while Janay Beene scored 17 for Wheeler (11 in the fourth quarter) and Brooke Jones added 10 points for the Lady Eagles.
Myrtle will play in the Pontotoc Tournament this weekend.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...