Etta News, November 12, 2010
Well, you can tell that fall is not in the air but here in person. Just look at all the leaves changing colors and blowing from trees and landing on the yards. Today was All Saints Sunday At Salem. Since most of the cooks were 70 or over, the church decided to go out to eat. We all joined together at Taylor's Restaurant and ate their cooks delicious food. Norma Jean had guests with her. Sharon, Kathlyn and Michelle joined her. Jessica Ivy's mom, Marilyn, also joined the Ivy's. There were several that was not 70, but went along just the same to enjoy the fellowship and food. The youngest one was around 15 month, and the oldest one was….well you decide. The oldest one in the church just passed away three weeks ago. Sunday was communion Sunday. Bro. Kyle had candles lit, in remembrance, in all the windows and around the alter for those that were deceased. A very impressive service as all called out names that were deceased in their family and community.
National Collection Week for the Samaritan's Purse Shoe box gift is November 15 -22.Franklin Graham, son of Billy Graham is the president of Samaritan's Purse. Today, Sunday, is Billys birthday. There are some drop off location as close as Hillcrest in New Albany.
The Wednesday night services is still being held at Friendship at 6:30. Everyone is invited.
Salem Family Theater ran last Thursday night with a very good movie, Fireproof, with a very small crowd to enjoy the drinks and popcorn.
Salem's soup and silent auction will not be held this year. It will be held next year with some changes made. Charles Shettles and Walter Porter from this area was added to the prayer list. Betty Shettles, wife of Tommy Lee, is home from the Jackson hospital and doing well.
Shelby and Laurel Brewer attended the Faith Festival at Union Hill Saturday night. A good program was presented by a duo from Nashville, a group from a local
Baptist church, Union Hill singers, congregational singing led by Drew Wafford, testimonials by duo from Nashville and Josh Tate. The closing sermon was presented by Bro. Gordon from NEMJC. He works with the Wesley Foundation at the college.
Mens Breakfast will be held at Union Hill the first Sunday in December at 7:00 A.M. All men keep this time on your calendars .
Judy Collier and her sister, Charlotte, returned today from a religious retreat in the mountains. She arrived just in time to eat lunch at Taylors with the other group from Salem.
This is not going to be a regular weekly column. It came to me in church today and said I needed to write it this week.
May each and everyone who reads this have a blessed life, remember God is still in control.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...