Local citizen foils armed robbery
Local law enforcement agents arrived on the scene of an armed robbery in progress at Medical Center Pharmacy Friday morning, only to find a citizen had managed to subdue a woman with a gun.
According to New Albany Police Chief David Grisham, the pharmacy’s manager Stan Dillon had hindered a Potts Camp woman’s attempt to rob the store.
“Officers received a call at about 11:15 a.m. that there was an armed robbery in progress” Grisham said. “When the officers arrived on the scene, they found Stan Dillon had a female subject on the ground, just behind the store.”
The female, Angel Johnson, 37, of Potts Camp, had alegedly entered the store armed with a glock .45 caliber pistol, Grisham said.
“She entered the front of the store, went up to the counter, pointed the gun at the two ladies behind the counter and said she wanted all the Lortabs,” he said.
Grisham said that Johnson also had a big bag, much like a diaper bag, and demanded that the Lortabs be placed in it. Once the pills had been placed inside, he said, Johnson allegedley walked Dillon outside by gunpoint.
“Somehow, he managed to get the gun away from her and take control of the situation,” Grisham said. “If it hadn’t been for him, I don’t know if we could have caught her. He’s the hero of this story. Citizens like him are a big help to us.”
Grisham said that Johnson was charged with one count of armed robbery.
An armed robbery charge carries a minimum of three years in prison.
About Chris Elkins
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- Playoff bound January 20, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- Weather Service to visit as part of severe storm awareness, training January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...