Local citizen foils armed robbery
Local law enforcement agents arrived on the scene of an armed robbery in progress at Medical Center Pharmacy Friday morning, only to find a citizen had managed to subdue a woman with a gun.
According to New Albany Police Chief David Grisham, the pharmacy’s manager Stan Dillon had hindered a Potts Camp woman’s attempt to rob the store.
“Officers received a call at about 11:15 a.m. that there was an armed robbery in progress” Grisham said. “When the officers arrived on the scene, they found Stan Dillon had a female subject on the ground, just behind the store.”
The female, Angel Johnson, 37, of Potts Camp, had alegedly entered the store armed with a glock .45 caliber pistol, Grisham said.
“She entered the front of the store, went up to the counter, pointed the gun at the two ladies behind the counter and said she wanted all the Lortabs,” he said.
Grisham said that Johnson also had a big bag, much like a diaper bag, and demanded that the Lortabs be placed in it. Once the pills had been placed inside, he said, Johnson allegedley walked Dillon outside by gunpoint.
“Somehow, he managed to get the gun away from her and take control of the situation,” Grisham said. “If it hadn’t been for him, I don’t know if we could have caught her. He’s the hero of this story. Citizens like him are a big help to us.”
Grisham said that Johnson was charged with one count of armed robbery.
An armed robbery charge carries a minimum of three years in prison.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...