Local citizen foils armed robbery
Local law enforcement agents arrived on the scene of an armed robbery in progress at Medical Center Pharmacy Friday morning, only to find a citizen had managed to subdue a woman with a gun.
According to New Albany Police Chief David Grisham, the pharmacy’s manager Stan Dillon had hindered a Potts Camp woman’s attempt to rob the store.
“Officers received a call at about 11:15 a.m. that there was an armed robbery in progress” Grisham said. “When the officers arrived on the scene, they found Stan Dillon had a female subject on the ground, just behind the store.”
The female, Angel Johnson, 37, of Potts Camp, had alegedly entered the store armed with a glock .45 caliber pistol, Grisham said.
“She entered the front of the store, went up to the counter, pointed the gun at the two ladies behind the counter and said she wanted all the Lortabs,” he said.
Grisham said that Johnson also had a big bag, much like a diaper bag, and demanded that the Lortabs be placed in it. Once the pills had been placed inside, he said, Johnson allegedley walked Dillon outside by gunpoint.
“Somehow, he managed to get the gun away from her and take control of the situation,” Grisham said. “If it hadn’t been for him, I don’t know if we could have caught her. He’s the hero of this story. Citizens like him are a big help to us.”
Grisham said that Johnson was charged with one count of armed robbery.
An armed robbery charge carries a minimum of three years in prison.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...