Penalty shots lift New Hope over Lady ‘Dawgs
The Lady Bulldogs played with a heightened intensity and held a 1-0 advantage until a late surge lifted New Hope in their win over New Albany on Saturday.
With 8:33 remaining in the match, the Lady Trojans connected on the game-tying score, sending the match into penalty kicks, where they connected on their first three and the Lady Bulldogs missed two of three, resulting in a loss.
“You hate to lose a game on penalty shots; it’s the most nerve wrecking aspect of our game,” NAHS head coach Les Huntington said.
“I think they played hard and dominated the game and to lose it that way is very disappointing. We played very well in the first half. In the second half, we let up just a little bit and allowed them to equalize. All in all, I thought they played very hard and held their own.”
New Albany has played tougher opponents so far this season, all working toward strengthening the team before division play opens against Pontotoc on Jan. 7. Included in their early season schedule last week was a 4-0 decision in favor of Oxford.
“That’s a 5A team, and our competition is tougher this year. It’s going to be hard, but it’s the only way I can think to get us ready for division play,” Huntington said. “
Based on their performance today, I think they’re starting to come around.”
New Albany will have the week off before traveling to Tupelo on Nov. 30 and Saltillo on Dec. 3. NA will host Corinth on Dec. 4.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...