Penalty shots lift New Hope over Lady ‘Dawgs
The Lady Bulldogs played with a heightened intensity and held a 1-0 advantage until a late surge lifted New Hope in their win over New Albany on Saturday.
With 8:33 remaining in the match, the Lady Trojans connected on the game-tying score, sending the match into penalty kicks, where they connected on their first three and the Lady Bulldogs missed two of three, resulting in a loss.
“You hate to lose a game on penalty shots; it’s the most nerve wrecking aspect of our game,” NAHS head coach Les Huntington said.
“I think they played hard and dominated the game and to lose it that way is very disappointing. We played very well in the first half. In the second half, we let up just a little bit and allowed them to equalize. All in all, I thought they played very hard and held their own.”
New Albany has played tougher opponents so far this season, all working toward strengthening the team before division play opens against Pontotoc on Jan. 7. Included in their early season schedule last week was a 4-0 decision in favor of Oxford.
“That’s a 5A team, and our competition is tougher this year. It’s going to be hard, but it’s the only way I can think to get us ready for division play,” Huntington said. “
Based on their performance today, I think they’re starting to come around.”
New Albany will have the week off before traveling to Tupelo on Nov. 30 and Saltillo on Dec. 3. NA will host Corinth on Dec. 4.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights September 29, 2016
- The Playhouse September 29, 2016
- New web site allows better public access to campaign finance reports September 29, 2016
- Church honors first responders September 29, 2016
- East Union opens division play at Byers September 30, 2016
- Headed to postseason September 30, 2016
- East Union Attendance Center 2016 Homecoming Court September 29, 2016
- City sales revenue continues upswing September 29, 2016
- First solar energy farm here gets PSC approval September 29, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...