Penalty shots lift New Hope over Lady ‘Dawgs
The Lady Bulldogs played with a heightened intensity and held a 1-0 advantage until a late surge lifted New Hope in their win over New Albany on Saturday.
With 8:33 remaining in the match, the Lady Trojans connected on the game-tying score, sending the match into penalty kicks, where they connected on their first three and the Lady Bulldogs missed two of three, resulting in a loss.
“You hate to lose a game on penalty shots; it’s the most nerve wrecking aspect of our game,” NAHS head coach Les Huntington said.
“I think they played hard and dominated the game and to lose it that way is very disappointing. We played very well in the first half. In the second half, we let up just a little bit and allowed them to equalize. All in all, I thought they played very hard and held their own.”
New Albany has played tougher opponents so far this season, all working toward strengthening the team before division play opens against Pontotoc on Jan. 7. Included in their early season schedule last week was a 4-0 decision in favor of Oxford.
“That’s a 5A team, and our competition is tougher this year. It’s going to be hard, but it’s the only way I can think to get us ready for division play,” Huntington said. “
Based on their performance today, I think they’re starting to come around.”
New Albany will have the week off before traveling to Tupelo on Nov. 30 and Saltillo on Dec. 3. NA will host Corinth on Dec. 4.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...