Dodson lifts Myrtle in win over Marshall Academy
The Hawks scored only one basket in the fourth quarter of their game against Marshall Academy, but it would prove to be the biggest. Heriah Dodson’s last second layup helped give Myrtle the 86-84 win over the Patriots Monday night.
Down 68-62 after the third quarter, Marshall Academy battled to tie the game on free throws at 84 with 5.3 seconds remaining. Until Dodson’s layup, the Hawks scored all of their fourth quarter points on the charity stripe, going 15-for-22 in the frame.
Myrtle went ahead 26-16 after the first quarter led by Russ Yates with seven points off the bench. Cruz Weatherall and Robert Montgomery led the Hawks to a 45-30 lead at the half, as the duo scored 13 of Myrtle's 19 second quarter points.
Bennett's three pointer made it a six point game, and the Patriots would continue to work their way back into the game, coming within one point before tying the contest in the final seconds.
Dodson finished with seven points, and the Hawks (4-4) were led by Robert Montgomery with 27 points, Cruz Weatherall with 18, Russ Yates with 14 and Steven Taylor with 10 points.
The Lady Hawks also defeated Marshall Academy in a tight game, led by 25 points from Aspriona Gilbert.
The Lady Patriots used a 14-0 run in the second to take the lead before the half, 30-27, but Kianna Judon helped bring Myrtle back, regaining the Lady Hawks’ lead with her three-pointer in the third quarter.
Marshall Academy would come within one point after a three-pointer by Kelsey Shaw made it a 40-39 game, but the Lady Hawks would close the game out on the free throw line. Shaw finished with 22 points, while Emma Elgin added 13 for the Lady Patriots.
Halle Knowles finished with 13 points for the Lady Hawks, who are now 7-2 after winning on the road at Desoto Central, 51-36, Tuesday night.
Myrtle will travel to Blue Mountain and host Ingomar and Hickory Flat next week.
About Chris Elkins
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- Playoff bound January 20, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- Weather Service to visit as part of severe storm awareness, training January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...