Dodson lifts Myrtle in win over Marshall Academy
The Hawks scored only one basket in the fourth quarter of their game against Marshall Academy, but it would prove to be the biggest. Heriah Dodson’s last second layup helped give Myrtle the 86-84 win over the Patriots Monday night.
Down 68-62 after the third quarter, Marshall Academy battled to tie the game on free throws at 84 with 5.3 seconds remaining. Until Dodson’s layup, the Hawks scored all of their fourth quarter points on the charity stripe, going 15-for-22 in the frame.
Myrtle went ahead 26-16 after the first quarter led by Russ Yates with seven points off the bench. Cruz Weatherall and Robert Montgomery led the Hawks to a 45-30 lead at the half, as the duo scored 13 of Myrtle's 19 second quarter points.
Bennett's three pointer made it a six point game, and the Patriots would continue to work their way back into the game, coming within one point before tying the contest in the final seconds.
Dodson finished with seven points, and the Hawks (4-4) were led by Robert Montgomery with 27 points, Cruz Weatherall with 18, Russ Yates with 14 and Steven Taylor with 10 points.
The Lady Hawks also defeated Marshall Academy in a tight game, led by 25 points from Aspriona Gilbert.
The Lady Patriots used a 14-0 run in the second to take the lead before the half, 30-27, but Kianna Judon helped bring Myrtle back, regaining the Lady Hawks’ lead with her three-pointer in the third quarter.
Marshall Academy would come within one point after a three-pointer by Kelsey Shaw made it a 40-39 game, but the Lady Hawks would close the game out on the free throw line. Shaw finished with 22 points, while Emma Elgin added 13 for the Lady Patriots.
Halle Knowles finished with 13 points for the Lady Hawks, who are now 7-2 after winning on the road at Desoto Central, 51-36, Tuesday night.
Myrtle will travel to Blue Mountain and host Ingomar and Hickory Flat next week.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series