Shop, and shop locally
The holiday season is here and for most of us, it’s the season when we do more spending than at any other time during the year.
So, it’s a logical time to take stock of what we are going to purchase and whether the items can be bought locally. If an item can be purchased at a business in Union County, we hope you will do so.
Money spent locally not only supports local business and their employees, but also has a ripple effect as the money is spent and re-spent in the local economy.
We understand that for some items, the selection in our community is limited or even not available. We just ask that you shop our county first. If you don’t find what you are looking for, venture out to Tupelo or Oxford and at least keep the money in our region.
We do discourage you from making online purchases for gifts that are going to be given locally. To do so just hurts businesses and the overall economy in our region, and often results in sales tax revenue not coming back to our community.
Buying locally, or at least regionally, is a good plan to follow throughout the year, too. Our economy in northeast Mississippi only is as good at you make it.
So, have a merry shopping season in local stores.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...