Liberty School News, December 3, 2010
Lil Huffstatler Grisham welcomed the 45 attendees to the Nov. 16 meeting of Liberty School. Charlie Sappington gave the invocation and blessing prior to the covered-dish dinner.
In the business session Joanne Gaines read minutes from the Oct. 9 annual school reunion and Joyce Fitzgerald gave the financial report. Ms. Grisham stated that the Huffstatler family had given the school a donation.
E.M. “Boots” Herring thanked everyone for their calls during his and Jean’s three-month absence from the meetings. He and Jean also donated a framed picture of George Washington to the school.
Recently Daphnia McMillen donated a picture and teaching certificate of Mrs. Mamie Skinner Carter to the school. This completes the school picture display of teachers who taught in the present Liberty school building.
“Classic Country” presented the entertainment for the evening. Members of the group: Terry McClusky (Ripley) drums; Charles McKee (Falkner), guitar and vocal; Kevin Mullins (Walnut) bass and vocal; B. L. Shaw (Tipplersville) lead guitar; Johnny F. Shoffner (Walnut) guitar and vocal. Included in the musical program: “Good Hearted Woman”, “Folsum Prison Blues”, ” Tennessee Flattop”, “I Turned Twenty-One In Prison”, “ Branded Man”, “Diggin’ Up Bones”, “Truck Driving Man”, “Heartaches by the Number”, “Troubles by the Score”, “North to Alaska”, “Carroll County Blues”, (lead guitar solo), “I’ll Walk the Line”, “Wildwood Flower”, (instrumental), “Get on that Horse and Ride”, “Working Man Blues”, “If We Never Meet Again”. Thank you “Classic Country” for a wonderful evening of entertainment.
Visitors for the evening were: “Classic Country” band members, Destiny, Katie and Cody Hester of New Albany, Mary and John Hogue of Keownville, Patsy McKee of Falkner, Chiaquita, Kristin and Katie Mullins, David Leo Roach, and Eloise Shoffner, all of Walnut.
We were glad to welcome Carolyn Brooks and Juanita Lowery back to the meetings after their extended absences.
Nov. birthdays were: Frances Dunson, E.M. “Boots” Herring, Bob Gaines, Gerald Gaines, Etoyce Pilcher, Jewel Rowan, Ruby Harris Tyer.
November anniversaries were: Patsy and Charles McKee of 42 years. Sympathy is extended to the families of James Dye, Sherman Gilley and George Sloan.
Mrs. Mabel Downs and family celebrate dThanksgiving at the school on Nov. 25.
The Dec. meeting and covered-dish dinner will be held Dec. 21st beginning at 6 p.m. Everyone is welcome.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...