Lady Hawks roll to weekend wins
The Lady Hawks picked up their fifth straight win, earning wins over Ingomar and Hickory Flat over the weekend.
Halle Knowles stepped up for Myrtle in Saturday night’s contest, scoring 28 points enroute to an 83-54 win over the Lady Rebels.
Meshay Cox put the Lady Hawks ahead 17-7 early in the game, but Kayla Kolivas stepped in off the bench for Hickory Flat, scoring three straight triples in a 9-2 run that cut Myrtle’s lead to 19-13. Myrtle closed out the frame on an 8-2 run and later outscored the Lady Rebels in the second quarter, 29-11, to take control of the game.
Along with Knowles’ 28 points, Aspriona Gilbert scored 26 for Myrtle, 24 in the first half, and Keanna Cox added 12. Kolivas led the Lady Rebels with 19 points.
Gilbert led the Lady Hawks’ charge Friday night, defeating Ingomar, 66-36. The junior scored 21 first half points and converted on three of four three-point plays in the half, as the Lady Hawks took a 40-11 lead to the break.
Myrtle’s defense held the Lady Falcons to single-digit scoring until the final frame, as Mallory Adair scored eight of Ingomar’s 19 fourth quarter points.
Gilbert led Myrtle (9-2) with 29 points, followed by 12 from Knowles and 10 by Keanna Cox.
Kayla Stevens led Ingomar with 14 points, followed by 10 from Adair.
The Lady Hawks have not lost since their 64-53 setback at Pontotoc last month, and the overall team effort is what has pleased head coach Chris Greer in their win streak.
“We played good against Pontotoc without Keanna (Cox), but we just got in foul trouble and Pontotoc’s a great team, but this week, I thought they all stepped up,” he said. “All five starters stepped up and played great, we had great defense and we just overall played great tonight.”
Myrtle will take on East Union this Thursday.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...