Will Tucker’s election in Ward 4 to fill his father’s seat on the New Albany Board of Aldermen presents both a challenge and an opportunity for him.
Tucker, who operates the Windshield Doctor, which had been his father’s family business, edged out Angele Mueller, owner of the Tallahatchie Gourmet restaurant, by an unofficial vote of 288 to 282 in the runoff election. Tucker got 215 votes to 119 for Mueller in the first round, in which nine candidates vied for the position.
The challenge for anyone getting half the votes is to sort out why the election was so close. The Tucker name and, for some voters, sympathy in the death of his father, gave him a significant early edge. The only question on the personable Tucker that we heard was his youth and his inexperience, leading some voters to believe he would be “led” by other members of the board.
Meanwhile, Mueller has been active in the community and is a well-regarded businesswoman with a successful restaurant and catering service. She expressed clear views, and both she and Tucker ran clean, competitive campaigns.
The opportunity now is for Tucker to demonstrate to Ward 4 voters that his youth is a plus, and that it gives him a fresh and independent outlook on the board. He can be a pro-active, progressive voice on the board, helping the city reap the benefits of economic growth while improving the quality of life and amenities in our community.
If he does that, he likely will cement his place on the board. We congratulate him on the results of the election.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...