West Union students contribute to Operation Christmas Child campaign
During this holiday season, there will be many needy families that will not have the monetary means to purchase gifts for children for Christmas.
For this reason and many others, many churches, individuals, and organizations around town and in the region have teamed up to gather toys, school supplies, and other needed items in shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child.
Recently, Tupelo held the National Collection Week for Operation Christmas Child and in Lee County and Union County, over 20,000 shoe boxes were collected are now in the process of being shipped to needy children around the world.
Although that collection week has come and gone, there are still ways to help needy children across the globe with Operation Christmas Child’s “Build A Box,” which is an online tool offering a personalized way to send Christmas gifts to even more children.
Visit www.occbuildabox.org and from there, the donor can select a child’s age and gender, can shop through an online selection of toys and other items, and end with a personalized note of encouragement. The gift boxes will be assembled by volunteers at Operation Christmas Child’s processing center in Charlotte, NC.
In addition, donors will be able to track their box and find out where it will be delivered.
Jim Harrelson, vice president of Operation Christmas Child, “In just minutes, you can highly customize your gifts to bring hope to a child in a desperate situation. This process is unlike anything we’ve ever done, and it will allow even more children to receive gift-filled shoe boxes. We want each of these children to know the true meaning of Christmas.”
Operation Christmas Child is part of the international Christian relief and evangelism organization Samaritan’s Purse. Since 1993, Operation Christmas Child has delivered more than 77 million gift-filled shoe boxes to needy children in more than 130 countries.
For information on Operation Christmas Child, call (662) 862-3434 or visit www.samaritanspurse.org/occ.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...