West Union students contribute to Operation Christmas Child campaign
During this holiday season, there will be many needy families that will not have the monetary means to purchase gifts for children for Christmas.
For this reason and many others, many churches, individuals, and organizations around town and in the region have teamed up to gather toys, school supplies, and other needed items in shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child.
Recently, Tupelo held the National Collection Week for Operation Christmas Child and in Lee County and Union County, over 20,000 shoe boxes were collected are now in the process of being shipped to needy children around the world.
Although that collection week has come and gone, there are still ways to help needy children across the globe with Operation Christmas Child’s “Build A Box,” which is an online tool offering a personalized way to send Christmas gifts to even more children.
Visit www.occbuildabox.org and from there, the donor can select a child’s age and gender, can shop through an online selection of toys and other items, and end with a personalized note of encouragement. The gift boxes will be assembled by volunteers at Operation Christmas Child’s processing center in Charlotte, NC.
In addition, donors will be able to track their box and find out where it will be delivered.
Jim Harrelson, vice president of Operation Christmas Child, “In just minutes, you can highly customize your gifts to bring hope to a child in a desperate situation. This process is unlike anything we’ve ever done, and it will allow even more children to receive gift-filled shoe boxes. We want each of these children to know the true meaning of Christmas.”
Operation Christmas Child is part of the international Christian relief and evangelism organization Samaritan’s Purse. Since 1993, Operation Christmas Child has delivered more than 77 million gift-filled shoe boxes to needy children in more than 130 countries.
For information on Operation Christmas Child, call (662) 862-3434 or visit www.samaritanspurse.org/occ.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...