Holmes takes two from Northeast in Goodman
Northeast Mississippi Community College’s men’s basketball team lost a heartbreaker in Goodman Monday, December 6.
Northeast (3-6, 1-1 in North Division) saw the host Bulldogs pull out an 80-76 double overtime win as the Tigers squared their division record at 1-1.
Coming into the game, Northeast staked claim to the lead in the North Division along with Coahoma and East Mississippi after knocking off Northwest Mississippi in the Tigers division opener on December 2.
Northeast clung to a 27-25 lead at the break only to see Holmes battle back and force the first session of overtime as the two teams knotted at 58 at the end of regulation.
After the first five-minute overtime session, Northeast and Holmes were still tied at 68-all–thanks to Tyler Pritchard nailing three free throws with no time on the clock– that forced it to another session of ‘free basketball’ before the Bulldogs were able to edge out an 80-76 decision.
For the Tigers, freshman Jermaine Holliman (Memphis, Tenn.) led the way with 19 points while sophomore Cody Garrett (Alcorn Central) collected a double-double.
Garrett finished with 11 points on the night and pulled down 12 rebounds – seven on the defensive end – in picking up his double-double.
A pair of other Tigers also picked up double digits on the night. Cedric Janes (Dyer County, Tenn.) finished with 12 points and John David Little (Olive Branch) cleared 11.
Northeast finished the night 23-of-69 from the floor including a 10-for-40 showing from beyond the arc.
In the opener, Anna Brooke Page’s 21 points, 10 rebounds weren’t enough as Northeast fell to even in the North Division as Holmes captured an 82-74 decision.
Page (Belmont) finished the night with a game-high 21 on a 6-for-8 showing from the floor and a 9-for-12 performance at the charity stripe.
Page’s 21 also led three other Lady Tigers in double digits with Tiffany Martin (Olive Branch) finishing with 16, Jackson (Tenn.) Southside’s Alex Hill checked in with 14 points while Amber Johnson (Pine Grove) capped her night with 10 points.
Northeast’s basketball program will take a week off for final examinations on the Booneville campus before hitting the hardwood once again.
Both men and women basketball teams will play host to Northwest-Shoals (Ala.) Community College at Bonner Arnold Coliseum on Tuesday, December 14. Tipoff is slated for 5 p.m.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...