Northeast schedules football reunion
Northeast Mississippi Community College’s all-time leader in football coaching victories is calling one last audible.
Former Northeast athletic director and football coach W.B. ‘Bill’ Ward wants to pull together a reunion during Homecoming 2011 that includes all of the football teams from 1968-1982.
For 15 years, Northeast’s football program was under Ward’s direction and the former Tiger football coach posted a 56-92-3 record during that time and became the Tigers all-time leader in football coaching victories.
During Ward’s tenure, Northeast captured a North Division title and a pair of runner-up finishes in the division.
Northeast posted a 9-2 mark during the 1980 season en route to a perfect 6-0 run through the North and culminated with a meeting with Jones County Junior College.
In 1977, Northeast finished second in the division after the Tigers posted a 6-4 record on the gridiron and a 4-2 mark in the division.
In 1979, Northeast set the stage for the 1980 squad with a 6-5 mark and a 5-1 showing in the North Division where the Tigers only league loss came via a 17-10 decision to Itawamba Community College.
After taking an 11-year hiatus following a 10-1 Horace McCool season, Ward resurrected the program in 1968 and led the Tigers to a 4-5 record their first year back which included wins over Northwest (41-22) and Itawamba (48-14).
It was the Tigers’ second year back in the football business that Northeast made its impact on the Mississippi junior college ranks reeling off a 7-2 season that included a win over Perkinston (Mississippi Gulf Coast) in the final game of the year.
Ward has been the only football coach during the program’s 51-year history to break the 50-win plateau and leads in all three of the coaching categories – wins, losses and ties – during his 151 games on the Tiger sidelines as head coach.
Ward’s three ties knots him with Hubert Tucker and Doug Hamley for number of square games.
Ward’s 1981 squad can also claim to still hold the record for most points scored in a game when the Tigers were able to put up 55 points against Coahoma in a 55-18 showing.
In 1983, Ward handed the reins of the club over to David Carnell after winning his final two games as head football coach – a 24-14 showing against Southwest and a 35-0 shutout against Mississippi Delta.
Organizers of the reunion are encouraging former Northeast football players between the years of 1968-82 to update their information with the Northeast Alumni Office.
For more information about the reunion or to update alumni information, contact Barbara Shackelford in the Northeast Alumni Office at 1-800-555-2154 ext. 4089 or at 662-720-4089 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...