Barbour and the stimulus
Well, our governor is at it again, touting a new “Broadband for Mississippi” web site, which is part of the state’s overall effort to increase high-speed internet access throughout the state.
According to Gov. Haley Barbour’s announcement press release, the site, www.broadband.ms.gov, will allow Mississippians to learn more about broadband technology and what it means to their community.
“Expanding internet access through the latest and fastest technologies is critical to the state’s economic development, education and health care sectors,” the governor said.
Now, don’t get us wrong. We think internet access statewide is important to the future, just like the governor. And this web site and other state programs may be a step in the right direction.
No, what we find interesting is the final two lines of the press release where we learn this new state program actually is being paid for by President Obama’s federal stimulus program.
What a dichotomy! The governor attacks the president, the federal government and the stimulus bill on the national talk-show circuit, while soaking up lots of federal money at home to help keep the state afloat without having to enact new state taxes.
Which way is it governor?
About Chris Elkins
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- Lady Urchin Power January 21, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- Playoff bound January 20, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...