Lady ‘Dawgs’ soccer win third-straight shutout
The Lady Bulldogs opened division play on a strong note, posting their third straight shutout of the season, defeating Tishomingo County, 5-0, on Saturday.
New Albany built a 4-0 lead in the first half, starting with a goal by Hannah Anderson, assisted by Martha Alef. Alef would later assist Morgan Odle on her goal, and Randi Stevens and Estefany Fernandez rounded out the half with their scores, assisted by Brittany Ellett and Shannon Goode.
Odle is one of several young players that has stepped up, particularly in this win streak, as the eighth grader has scored in her last three outings, one junior varsity and two varsity matches.
“Morgan has never played soccer before this year, and she has now scored in the last three games,” NAHS head coach Les Huntington said.
“She’s fast and she has a knack for being in the right place at the right time.”
Defensively, the third shutout shows signs of a strengthening defense for Huntington’s squad.
“It shows that our defense is coming together, and with goal keeping, this game gave me the opportunity to play our backup goalkeepers playing experience,” he said.
“When I put them in, I felt as comfortable then as I am with Summer Sanderson.”
New Albany’s final match of 2010 will take place this Friday, as the team will travel to North Pontotoc. When play resumes in January, NAHS will face South Pontotoc and Pontotoc in their first week.
“Our last game before the Christmas break will be against another division rival, and it’s important for us if we want to go back to the playoffs like we did last year,” Huntington said.
“We feel very confident that we can make the playoffs, and if we can put it together, maybe we’ll have a shot at winning the division.”
New Albany 9 Tishomingo County 0 (boys)
The Bulldogs earned a win in a rain-shortened match against Tishomingo County on Saturday.
New Albany went to the half up 6-0 and scored three more goals before the game was called due to inclement weather.
The Bulldogs will close the semester on the road at North Pontotoc this Friday night.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...