Myrtle sweeps East Union
The Lady Hawks will face one of their toughest opponents in Lafayette on Monday, and Myrtle used their Thursday night match-up against East Union to prepare, defeating the Lady Urchins, 77-24.
Keanna Cox led Myrtle with 23 points, as she was one of four Lady Hawks that scored in double figures (Halle Knowles 14, Jenna Jordan 13, Meshay Cox 10). Aspriona Gilbert led Myrtle in rebounds with 14.
“Overall, we played good,” Myrtle head coach Chris Greer said. “We looked a little sloppy tonight, but the guard play was good and we didn't shoot well inside, missing a lot of baskets.”
Ashley Leach was the leading scorer for the Lady Urchins with 20 points.
Myrtle has two more games before their holiday break, starting with Lafayette on the opening day of the Myrtle Christmas Clash. Greer knows his team will be challenged by one of the tougher teams in 4A.
“They're going to press, they're quick and they're going to give us a good game,” he said. “Over the break, we've got to get better at a lot of little things, like we don't run our fast break very good, and our defense gets a little sloppy. We'll look to work on those things during the break.”
Myrtle 86 East Union 58 (boys)
Six Hawks scored in double figures, as Myrtle defeated East Union, 86-58 Thursday night.
Heriah Dodson scored a team-high 15 points, while Russ Yates added 12 (6 off three pointers), Nick Milsap and Steven Taylor 11 and 10 points from Robert Montgomery and Cruz Weatherall.
Myrtle will play Water Valley and West Oktibbeha during their annual Christmas Clash on Monday and Tuesday, Dec. 20-21.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...