Water Valley takes two against West Union
A physical game went in favor of Water Valley, as the Lady Blue Devils defeated West Union, 47-32, on Tuesday.
The Lady Devils used the free throw line in the win, connecting on 14–of-22 shots from the penalty stripe, capitalizing on 21 West Union fouls.
Courtney Phillips led the Lady Devils in the first quarter, scoring 10 of her team’s 12 points. With the game tied at 10, Ashley Phillips broke the tie at the end of the frame.
The free throws came in handy, helping the Lady Devils maintain their lead in the second quarter before Bailey Bogue’s basket gave West Union the lead, 19-18. At that point, Water Valley went on a 6-0 run to end the half with a 24-19 advantage.
In the third, Leah Paige Goolsby made it a three-point game, 29-26, but Water Valley utilized the foul situation, connecting on all six free throw attempts by Courtney Phillips, and the Lady Devils held a 35-28 lead heading into the fourth.
Water Valley outscored the Lady Eagles 12-4 in the final frame, starting with a 7-0 run to seal the win. The Lady Blue Devils were led by Courtney Phillips with 25 points, followed by Haley Vance with 11 (three triples in the second half).
For West Union, Hannah McQuary led with 10 points.
Water Valley 70 West Union 34 (boys)
Water Valley capitalized off of early runs to defeat West Union, 70-34 on Tuesday.
Fred McGee put the Devils up early, 18-6, and Water Valley hit four triples in the first half, including one by Matt Dalton right at the half.
Dalton led the Devils with 11 points, followed by T.J. Sims and E.J. Bounds with 10 points each.
Chase Taylor led the Eagles with 10 points.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...